71 New Yorker restoration finally complete

Is that the famous TTI headers and exhaust system?

Car looks fantastic.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

That is one beautifully put together car! Love the color combo!

I'm assuming it's a V1Y - Gold vinyl roof ?

HLT7-High level Leather in Saddle Tan
GT8- Tahitian Walnut Metallic

The body code plate, if enlarged, does show the GT8 Tahitian Walnut metallic body color and a V1W white for the vinyl roof that this car has but it might have originally been a V1T vinyl roof (that code is hard to read even if enlarged) which originally would be a matching Walnut color rather than the V1Y Gold color. Why do you think this car would be a dark gold vinyl roof?

My 71 New Yorker coupe has identical colors to this one - seen in:

My New Preferred Whitewalls for C Bodies.

Mine is intended to be more of a driver, though, so the engine compartment/underbody won't be this nice but I am aiming for the body/paint work to be comparable (it is all original at present and needs body/paint work done yet). When one of my cars is this nice, I am reluctant to drive them much in California traffic. If I lived in Canada, I would feel differently.

Given the depth of the paint I am assuming it is base coat/clear coat - which would make sense since it is a metallic color that can't be buffed if it were a single stage as was the factory paint to give that kind of luster. The body work also appears to be well done.

Very nice.

Last edited:
One other question for @TNT440 , were you able to reuse your original lower body side trim clips to retain it on your restoration or were you able to source new ones? One other member on this site is also restoring a 71 New Yorker to your standards and he recently was asking if anyone had a source for them.

The body code plate, if enlarged, does show the GT8 Tahitian Walnut metallic body color and a V1W white for the vinyl roof that this car has but it might have originally been a V1T vinyl roof (that code is hard to read even if enlarged) which originally would be a matching Walnut color rather than the V1Y Gold color. Why do you think this car would be a dark gold vinyl roof?

My 71 New Yorker coupe has identical colors to this one - seen in:

My New Preferred Whitewalls for C Bodies.

Mine is intended to be more of a driver, though, so the engine compartment/underbody won't be this nice but I am aiming for the body/paint work to be comparable (it is all original at present and needs body/paint work done yet). When one of my cars is this nice, I am reluctant to drive them much in California traffic. If I lived in Canada, I would feel differently.

Given the depth of the paint I am assuming it is base coat/clear coat - which would make sense since it is a metallic color that can't be buffed if it were a single stage as was the factory paint to give that kind of luster. The body work also appears to be well done.

Very nice.
The white top is original. I am the second owner.

One other question for @TNT440 , were you able to reuse your original lower body side trim clips to retain it on your restoration or were you able to source new ones? One other member on this site is also restoring a 71 New Yorker to your standards and he recently was asking if anyone had a source for them.
Luckily I was able to reuse all of the clips.

Why do you think this car would be a dark gold vinyl roof?

Enlarged the code appears to be V1V but I know that's not correct. So either V1Y or V1W.
Just going by the picture that I can see. Enlarged it doesn't appear to be a W, so that is why I deducted a Y.

Regardless, that is one beautiful car!

000 (2).jpg

I am away from the car right now but I will check. I am pretty sure it will identify as white. Honestly I never checked the codes. I just put it back to what it was other than some performance improvements

How rusty was it? And what was the name of the shop that did the paint work? At some point I'm I'm going to need my car to be painted, and it's good to know about shops in Ontario that do good work.

Would you be able to share what TTI system you purchased and used? As you know these New Yorkers didn’t come with duels so I’m guessing a generic system was used.. appreciate it.

How rusty was it? And what was the name of the shop that did the paint work? At some point I'm I'm going to need my car to be painted, and it's good to know about shops in Ontario that do good work.
It wasn't very rusty, a couple small spots on lower rear quarters. It had some poor collision repair on left front fender. The shop that painted it was Bos Auto in Foxboro Ontario. The car was painted about 5 years ago and unfortunately they are no longer in business. I think he had a hard time keeping employees

Enlarged the code appears to be V1V but I know that's not correct. So either V1Y or V1W.
Just going by the picture that I can see. Enlarged it doesn't appear to be a W, so that is why I deducted a Y.

View attachment 496262

I was trying to say that with the original color being Tahitian Walnut with no uncertainty, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have a matching Walnut vinyl top rather than a Tawny Gold one to complement it???
The trim selector essentially recommends that clearly in the notes accompanying the vinyl tops.

Since my New Yorker also has a white vinyl top I can attest that the "W" is indeed not all that clear.

View attachment 496262
The Y could also mean tortoise grain which I believe it has. I will take a close up of the roof and the tag tomorrow

Back