71 Newport rear suspension question.

IronClad

Reaction score
Just got rid of the old rear shocks that had the helper springs for my 71 Newport and replaced them with some new 81091 Gabriels but now the car is practically sitting on the ground and now the rear tires are rubbing. I'm thinking my leaves are flat. This is what I've found on www.stengelbros.com. I think 23-933 would be closest to the factory, but I would like to have 1 inch over stock due to aftermarket tires and I don't really have a clue how these different leaves will compare http://www.stengelbros.com
spring_sheet2.PNG
spring_sheet.PNG

Get into a factory service manual rear suspension section and look at the number of leaves on each side for the body style you have. Notice the more leaves in the HD factory option, too.

Then contact Espo Springs and Things (www.springsnthings.com) and tell them what you have and that you desire a set of springs for "+1" rear ride height. Then make sure to get new shackle bushins and such, too, if they are available. Plus any rubber insulators between the springs and rear axle housing (might be some in polyurethane?), too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I would use the 23-917 that spring has additional arch and should get you where you want to be and it will fit the existing mounts. As noted, be sure to replace the rubber bushings. Might want to check your existing springs as pounded out rubber parts will drop the ride height as well to where all you might just need is new bushings.

Dave

Get into a factory service manual rear suspension section and look at the number of leaves on each side for the body style you have. Notice the more leaves in the HD factory option, too.

Then contact Espo Springs and Things (www.springsnthings.com) and tell them what you have and that you desire a set of springs for "+1" rear ride height. Then make sure to get new shackle bushins and such, too, if they are available. Plus any rubber insulators between the springs and rear axle housing (might be some in polyurethane?), too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

This ..!

Another option would be to have a Spring Shop add a leaf or re-arch the springs and add a leaf. If you replace the springs definitely go with one inch over stock. This way if you load up the car to go on a trip the car will be level.

I recently purchased the rear springs and hardware for my 71 New Yorker from ESPO Springs. They sell 6 and 7 leaf springs.
While you're upgrading, you should consider replacing the bushings too.
FYI...keep your old shackles as ESPO doesn't sell the "bent" style needed for your C body.

Got under the car today to start making a shopping list and have another question. Are these the axle pads that are sandwiching the leaf springs? if so I kinda assume they need to be replaced. Second, does anyone have a recommendation for new shackle bushings?
6283.jpeg

ESPO will have what you need if it is available.
Have you looked at their site or called them?

alright called them up and ordered a set of leaves with a +1 inch raise as well as some new hardware and bushings to go on the old shackles. thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction guys.

Back