72 limo, in my area

Status
Not open for further replies.
00o0o_2HAOTk0kfgl_600x450.jpg

Saweet......

I noticed the D99 on the tag, that jumped
out at me...... Why ?

I saw this 66 Chrysler earlier this summer, North of chattanooga tenn. Called a "VIP Executive". 2nd seat(s) faced rearward in it also.

66 VIP executive 1 (Large).jpg

66 VIP executive 2 (Large).jpg

I saw this 66 Chrysler earlier this summer, North of chattanooga tenn. Called a "VIP Executive". 2nd seat(s) faced rearward in it also.

Yes but it is a 4-door, the one above is a 6-door.

Note on the 66, they also moved the rear door forward about 9"

Alan

Saweet......

I noticed the D99 on the tag, that jumped
out at me...... Why ?

I'm guessing it was ordered with a police/taxi style HD trans, knowing that it was going to the hatchetmen at Stageway to cobble into what it's become.

Yes but it is a 4-door, the one above is a 6-door.

Note on the 66, they also moved the rear door forward about 9"

Alan

AND, made the "C" pillar equally thicker. I'm betting there's 2 C-pillars in that car. The original one and the one put in by the bodybuilder. There's also 2 "B" pillars as well. I'll check to see who might have made this. It looks a little too good to be a you-know-what. Mounting a single OE door in the middle of the stretched rear passenger compartment is a novel way of accessing the rear area for all 6 potential rear area passengers.

I'm guessing it was ordered with a police/taxi style HD trans, knowing that it was going to the hatchetmen at Stageway to cobble into what it's become.

Allow me to rephrase.... What does D99 represent? I don't recall EVER seeing that code

Allow me to rephrase.... What does D99 represent? I don't recall EVER seeing that code

My first guess would be special order transmission.

dunno if this helps...the D99 thing also caught my attention. 30 minutes of google searching yielded nothing definitive other than the "usual (and useful) suspects " on fender tag decoding.

"D99 - Special Order Transmission" helps but still doesnt say what it is. I did notice that "D99" and "Road Runner" also came up together several times in different enthusiasts threads.

Recall also the thread discussion on FCBO recently where the existence of a "R/B 904" was swatted around..a member posted very useful technical information on the various differences between the "regular" and "HD" 727's. I hope he sees (or someone else who really knows) this and weighs in.

While it may help or be of no consequence other than to muddy the issue, I found this thing from 1970 (hard to read without magnification but has some neat data) that shows a "high-upshift TorqueFlite" standard on Sport Fury GT and optional on Road Runner.

I know..."High upshift" does not equal "D99" and i will freely admit I am out of my depth, so please "curb your enthusiasm" to slap me around in this thread. :D But we all can reasonably infer it likely was "heavy duty" with respect to its innards yes?

So maybe this "D99" 727 had a "high-upshift" feature (given the powertrain was hauling around 5500 lbs of car and 2500 lbs of people and luggage, etc), plus 4-pinion planetaries (and other features - HD discs/plates/bands - like the HD/Police D32/D36 trannies had), and other/different springs to soften the otherwise sharp shift points (it is a limo after all so you cant snap necks shifting) given the engine and rear-end specs the vehicle had?

Wonder what 727 tranny flavor went in truck/vans/motorhome chassis in this era - clue there to this one?

70rtsad2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back