For Sale 72 Plym Custom Suburban for parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfrogh

Reaction score
Contact seller
Many of you may have seen my thread a few weeks ago about trees crushing my buddy's garage with my 72 Wagon inside. Well, the wagon is finally out from under the garage and back home in my garage pending a visit from an Insurance Adjuster. I am 99% positive they will be totaling the car. I would hate to see it crushed if someone could use its bones. So, I need to know ASAP if anyone in the club is interested and how much you would be willing to spend. As soon as I know the Buy Back, I will post it.

the car is in Westminster Maryland.

1972 Plymouth Fury Custom Suburban. 2-owner garage kept. 137,xxx miles. Motor is a 360ci 2bbl and has never been apart. Trans is a 727. 6-passenger car. Only rust issues the car had was with the storage well in the rear (where a 3rd seat would go) and the right side, rear door jamb. The headliner is original and still looks intact for someone who wants to carefully remove it. It has the hide-away headlights and they work 100%. Heck, even the AC on the car worked!

The car still runs. Drove it home from his garage via the backroads.

The gas tank on the car is a 1-yr only tank and REALLY should not go to the crusher. I actually happen to have a spare too. the one in the car was fully restored 7-years ago.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

That's not near as bad as I thought it would be. Fixable even. Somebody buying the whole car is a no brainer. Buy a dessert shell and swap everything. Or fix it even if your masochistic.

The car looks damn good compared to the shed pictures. If the owner had a true love for the car he would pay to have it reskined. You see these shows of custom welding so someone could fix it, or customize it and make it a high top. Maybe use a old suburban roof skin?? Or if nothing else it could be turned into a camper wagon.

With a donor roof I'd fix it. It would be some work but so is fixing a rough car or a rust bucket.

I agree with the other guys , that car isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be .
Do a roof cut on it and fix it.

This is fixable I'd rather start with this than something that's rusty and doesn't run and needs everything else fixed. It's a big job but less big than totally restoring the whole car. What do you want for the whole thing?

Guys,, remember this..
It may not just be the roof that got crushed..
It may have also crushed tfrogh's dreams and spirit and any desire to continue with this car....

I have neither the time, tools or training to effect any of the repairs. I would have to have a shop do it all. And that is big bucks. Full repaint along with the roof replacement and a hunt for a lot of parts. If I was a rich man, I absolutely would have a shop fix it up or better yet, make it into a El Camino-esque 'ute. But, my bank account is limited. :-(

If I was looking for another wagon, I'd attempt that, hopefully someone saves it!

It looks fixable ....but is it?
Look carefully between the rear tailgate and C pillar. Buckled pretty good there and that is an important structural point on wagons.
What about what you CANNOT see? Being unibody construction there may be a slight possiblilty she is twisted/bent somwhere. But on the positive side the car is strong enough that the side glass did not blow out.
The amount of pressure on the side glass I cannot imagine.

Respectfully,let the professionals (adjuster) make the judgement call when they look at it.
Anything is fixable with an unlimited budget,LOL!

Last edited:
Perfect to customize into some sort of pickup, it already has a tailgate

Dang! Totally fixable. I’ve put lots of roofs on cars. It’s a pretty straight forward process. Just a $#!+ load of spot welds.

The side glass will have to be removed for the roof repair
I am betting the side glass gaskets are on the same shelf next to the unicorns.

Who are you insured through? Don't be so sure it'll totaled...when I registered my 72 Custom Suburban, I had to look up the value through NADA blue book. Have you ever seen what they list the value as?

1972 Plymouth Satellite Custom 4 Door Station Wagon 6 Passenger Prices, Values & Satellite Custom 4 Door Station Wagon 6 Passenger Price Specs

View attachment 388779 View attachment 388780

Gah, I wish! Looking at those prices and then looking at what I see them for sale on the forum for...either that value table is high as a kite or the cars on here are dirt cheap! The blue '72 with wood grain was a 9-passenger for $12k and was gorgeous. When I got the car, there was a salmon pink 9-passenger making the rounds for sale and it was $10k, which at the time everyone thought they were high.

I have an agreed value policy with Grundy. 99% sure no shop will fix the car for what is the agreed value.

To all watching this thread...I have my days mixed up. Appraiser comes Thursday AM.

Who are you insured through? Don't be so sure it'll totalled...when I registered my 72 Custom Suburban, I had to look up the value through NADA blue book. Have you ever seen what they list the value as?

1972 Plymouth Satellite Custom 4 Door Station Wagon 6 Passenger Prices, Values & Satellite Custom 4 Door Station Wagon 6 Passenger Price Specs

View attachment 388779 View attachment 388780

these prices are for B-bodies (Satellite not Furys).
I would check with hagerty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back