72 Y9 Tawney Gold versus 73 Y9 Tahitian Gold

Chrysler skipped the letter I for reasons unknown in the marking systems. Probably because it looked too much like a 1.

Dave

And the H? If in the example you gave F was 1970, G would be 1971, H would be '72 Then J would be '73 as you stated however, there is a JY9 in '72 according to the chart that Doc posted.

So what year is J?

My understanding is that G = 1971 (like my Monaco) and J = 1973

And the H? If in the example you gave F was 1970, G would be 1971, H would be '72. Then J would be '73 as you stated; however, there is a JY9 in '72 according to the chart that Doc posted.

Now we are on the same page. You and I are puzzled by the same thing. The puzzle is reinforced because, in the charts to which I linked, the only two codes are 2311 (G) and 2510 (J).

According to Docs '72 chart, JY9 Tahitian Gold Poly is there, along with Y9 (HY9) Tawney Gold Poly. Like I said there goes the J='73 theory...
Something is screwy.... LOL
20190318_174946-jpg.jpg

According to Docs '72 chart, JY9 Tahitian Gold Poly is there, along with Y9 (HY9) Tawney Gold Poly. Like I said there goes the J='73 theory...
View attachment 270855

The only surprising thing is "HY-9" in the left sheet (1972) -- JY9 is expected for 1973 (and that's what we read in the right sheet), as would HY9 if the color in 1972 had been different from 1971. But, AFAIK, in 1972 the Y9 color was still GY9, which is indeed what's on the OP's fender tag. The "screwy" part is HY9 -- any takers?

The chart on the left is from 1972. That's where the JY9 is....hence my post.

Middle row fourth chip from the bottom.

I do not see any good explanation either, wonder if they might have added the color mid year '72 or something and used the '73 coding which was probably on the books someplace. The joy of Mopars.

Dave

Last edited:
Don't you mean "H or J Cup"?
I think I've spotted some of those, but unfortunately the rest of the chassis matches the top end if you get my drift:poke:

Is there not a local paint store that can hand-match that color? Rather than getting it "mail order"??? Orig paint was "single stage" acrylic enamel, not BC/CC.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Went down to the English Color store and got two spray cans of GY9 Tawney Gold. Now that box is checked, on to the next! Thanks,

I'll tend to agree with the "next year's scheduled color" that got moved up one year.

GM did that trick, but it was hidden from view (UNTIL I found out how it happened). In the front of some of the Chevrolet (or other carline) Order Guides was a page of "Fleet Colors". Colors for national fleet customers, PLUS some "trial colors" that could be ordered if enough quantities of vehicles were ordered for them.

One year, it was an Emerald Green Metallic on C/K pickups. A regional dealer group could order about 1500 vehicles with that color, collectively. We were one of those dealers that participated in doing that, regionally. But when a purchaser came in wanting some touch-up paint, the number on the SPID label was not in the parts book. Which is when I went on my hunt in the order guide. Ended up getting a paint supply to mix a quart or so and then put it in small bottles for the customers. Sure enough, next model year it was a normal color.

CBODY67

If you consider that the Chrysler color code system is related to "color families" and "intensity thereof", then their nomenclatures can make sense. If "B" is "blue", then the lighter hues will be lower numbers and the darker hues will be the higher numbers.

Then put the "first year used" designated pre-fix letter for further definition. Key thing is "first year used", which would not necessarily be the same as "current model year used". And, if the color was "hurried-up" and used one year prior to when it was originally scheduled, then that ORIGINAL model year "letter" would be used rather than the current model year "letter".

The 4-digit codes on the paint chip charts ensure that each respective formula gets to the model year it was intended for. Which means that "Y9" is not a constant formula in all cases, for example. Just a reference for the particular color family in the particular model year of vehicle

Some Chrysler colors, a "B5 Blue" seemed to be somewhat constant through the years, though. And there are probably others like that, too. Just that "Y9" was not.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

View attachment 270855

I think that this 72 color chart is a hybrid produced close to the end of that model year because it shows many colors that were not available before 73, though there is Autumn Bronze Poly, which was available prior to 73.

Some Chrysler colors, a "B5 Blue" seemed to be somewhat constant through the years, though. And there are probably others like that, too. Just that "Y9" was not.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Actually 70 and 71 B5 were different. 71 was darker and lost the greenish hue.[/ATTACH]
P3020007 (1).JPG
P5300011 (1).JPG

Went down to the English Color store and got two spray cans of GY9 Tawney Gold. Now that box is checked, on to the next! Thanks,
Did the paint that you got match the original paint on your Imperial (I mean YM23T2C287885 -- I understand that you have others).

Did the paint that you got match the original paint on your Imperial (I mean YM23T2C287885 -- I understand that you have others).
Well, that job has been derailed some. Got the valence sandblasted, primed, and glazed, but it now leans up agianst the four post lift waitng on me to finish the job. Sorry, I wish I could say more.

Back