727 performance rebuild kit

flyinbrick68

Reaction score
I'm looking at rebuilding my 727 while im waiting on my machinist. What kits have you guys used w what friction material? Raybestos, alto ect and what's worked for you? I know the 727 is strong... I want it to be able to handle a solid 500hp+ motor is pending future upgrades... I think the mp kit uses the blue plate special clutches has anyone used these? Thanks guys!

i knew they were tough! thank you...on a side note my torque converter came in today!

I'm using tci kit some sort of racing clutches nothing special, the clutches have good holding power in a 727 except for the 3 plate front drum the bands are a different story I'm trying one that the trans guy down the road uses in his diesel builds we will see its a raybestos kickdown band.

Talked to a trans builder that was recommended to me and he says w such a heavy car and around 450hp itl take around 1000 worth of parts to make a 727 live. He recommended a full rmvb along w other parts, though i'm not sure if i want to be shifting the trans constantly. Does it really need that high of line pressure to live and take some trips down the strip once in a while?

He is taking you for a ride or just doesn't know any better, I think former not latter. Put a shift kit in it and good quality clutches, two places not to be cheap is kick down lever and strut for the kickdown band, the 4.2 ratio lever is best on a flex type band and the billet strut goes hand in hand with lever both available from a&a transmissions and others I'm sure.

he suggested all of those... plus solid bands, billet servos, blocked accumularor, reinforced strut, extra clutches and bolt in sprag. i did say street strip so maybe it was my wording that led him to suggest his reccomendations... i think he builds strip/racing 727s primarily. I do intend to run street slicks such as an mt or racemaster once in a while. My plan was to run raybestos stage one red clutches, the kickdown u suggested with billet servos, solid bands if i can get them, and a bolt in sprag. I'm reading and learning all i can on the 727.

Bolt in spray is good insurance for less than $100 an a must with slicks billit servo is good and a must if your running a trans brake, the solid kickdown band is unessesary because the cost of it and the drum are out of hand a 4.2 and the flex band is good for 600 HP above that you are getting into some serious hardware, call me when you get to that level I want a ride in that beast.

I'll look into a flex bland and see what all I can come up with the kit I was looking at comes with Kevlar bands which I was told is unnecessary and would be too aggressive for my build. Ill have to call some trans shops.

The weakest link in a 727 is the sprag. I would not use the flexible band.

thanks guys for your valuable input...the thing that bothers me most is an exploding direct drum!

Everybody realizes that 99% of the 727 and all 518 and 618 are all flex band the only solid bands are rebuilt and require a drum that is overkill and very $$$$$. The direct drum is okay to 9000 rpm if the sprag fails ( locks solid) the drum will spin at 2.2 times engine rpm, reverse gear ratio 2.2×engine at 4000 rpm you are flirting with that 9000 number. Bolt in sprag and no letting it hook up with sticky tires on burnout in first gear you will be fine.

Stop:
sstop.gif

You lost me after 518.

That's all good stuff. The servos are more needed with that valve body than with a shift kit. The sprague is a good idea but it's more mental than actual help. It's still a weak link unless you upgrade to a Super Sprague and/or replace the kickdown drum (very expensive). I'd K.I.S.S. You don't need all that stuff, it's a good idea, but IMO you don't need it. If you start racing it that's another story and should be a larger budget.

Back