727 ,Shift shaft seals

garyh

Reaction score
Had the local transmission shop replace both shift shaft seals a few months ago. No leaks for a month or two and now is leaking again same place as before (shift shaft).
Have another mopar with the same leak. I heard about the converter drainback but how do you stop leaks ?

Most of the time this type of leak is caused by either excessive wear on the shift shaft or a rough spot on the shift shaft that is eating the o-ring seal. Since it has only been a short time since you had it fixed, I would first take it back to the place that repaired it and tell them their repair has failed. You might wind up having to buy a new shift shaft in any case.

Dave

Dave, what kind of O-ring seal is on there. My 727 is an early transmission and is a floor shifter. It is a cable and not a shaft. Boyd

Dave, what kind of O-ring seal is on there. My 727 is an early transmission and is a floor shifter. It is a cable and not a shaft. Boyd

The cable shift has a round collar with a hole in the center that the cable goes thru. Usually if they leak, it will be on the outer radius of the collar, there is a short shaft off the base of the collar with a standard black o ring to seal it. Check the collar to be sure it is tight, sometimes the things work loose and that is all that is wrong. See
www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

Dave

Last edited:
My O-ring is missing. Any idea what size it is or where I can get one?

My O-ring is missing. Any idea what size it is or where I can get one?

Short of buying the transmission re-seal kit, your best bet would be to buy one of those prepackaged o ring assortments and find one that fits. You can take a digital caliper and measure the seat for the o ring, that will get you close.

Dave

Back