727 trans pan gasket that doesn't leak??

It's not a secret I just don't know it off the top of my head.
I think it's listed in one of my ATSG trans overhaul books, I do have an a500 sitting here that I have to go thru and get a pan gasket for anyway I'll look when I get home.
I can't tell you how many idiots I've seen where the they throw those away and use the cork gasket that comes with a filter and then they think they just gotta empty a whole tube of rtv on both sides in addition. I don't like using ANY rtv on a trans.
Ok
Thanks

The A904/A500 pan gasket is P/N 4295875AC. It is used in Dakotas/Jeep XJ's.

I use either Indian Head or Aviation seal or even Hi Tack on many places but I try to avoid using anything besides a gasket on a trans pan.

^This^

Best trans gasket period. And it's even reusable. No sealer needed.

View attachment 647495
Is 02464324AC a substitute? Amazon has that. If not can you suggest a good source for 02464324AD please? Does it need longer bolts than stock? I read that somewhere. Mine is overdue for replacement. Thanks in advance.
Carl

Is 02464324AC a substitute? Amazon has that. If not can you suggest a good source for 02464324AD please? Does it need longer bolts than stock? I read that somewhere. Mine is overdue for replacement. Thanks in advance.
Carl
Yes, they are the same.

The stock bolts are plenty long enough.

No C body "should" have a 904. As heavy of a car as they are they need the heavy duty -ness of a 727.....

I've rarely seen a pan leaking that loose bolts wasn't the reason.
I've lost count of the number of leaking fill tube Orings that drool into the pan rail that make it look like the pan is leaking...

Selector/kickdown shaft seals are a close second.

Kevin

there some trick to that mopar gasket? put it in with a new summit cast alum pan and it still leaks.
Are you sure that's where it's leaking?

Quite a few of the trans gasket leaks are actually leaks from the transmission shift seal and throttle link seal. That's a bit dependent on the year... Earlier transmissions with the cable shift don't have that shifter seal, but they still have the throttle linkage seal.

TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement

put it in with a new summit cast alum pan and it still leaks
Could be the pan too.

I saw this the other day... (not my pic) and it's a Summit Chevy rear end cover. Note the bolt holes don't match.
IMG_8593.thumb.jpeg.81c3d64f3bd10bdf613b84b04d3b2475.jpeg

Spray everything down with brake cleaner and find a BIG piece of flat cardboard to place under the oil pan, on the floor. That way, you can remove the cardboard to see exactly where the drops were coming from, rather than speculating after moving the car.

The shift shaft seal, along with the neutral safety switch can be lh side contributors. As the filler tube seal/o-ring can be from the other side of the case. In any o-ring seals, IF POSSIBLE, get the OEM part number rather than a generic o-ring from an auto supply. I went through that on the GM side of things, 45 years ago. Any o-rings need to be verified to be compatible with ATF.

After you see the location of where the drips landed, then look at those locations AND trace the fluid patch to its origination. Progress from there to repair the situation.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

Back