727 transmission compatibility

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a low mileage 1975 727 transmission. Overall inspection reveals this transmission was recently rebuilt. Front pump super clean like new and the fluid is light pink in color. The torque convertor has counterweights present. As I remember earlier 727 trans convertors came w/o weight attached on my 69 300. If I were to remove those weights could this transmission be used w/ earlier 440 applications. What applications can I use it.

David, I just saw this sort of info in the Direct Connection Perf Manual (on a disc) the other day. Tomorrow I'll dig back thru it (914 pages of poorly written and edited info!) and if I find what you're looking for I'll post some screen shots.

David, I just saw this sort of info in the Direct Connection Perf Manual (on a disc) the other day. Tomorrow I'll dig back thru it (914 pages of poorly written and edited info!) and if I find what you're looking for I'll post some screen shots.
Thanks Trace.

I have the chance to buy a low mileage 1975 727 transmission. Overall inspection reveals this transmission was recently rebuilt. Front pump super clean like new and the fluid is light pink in color. The torque convertor has counterweights present. As I remember earlier 727 trans convertors came w/o weight attached on my 69 300. If I were to remove those weights could this transmission be used w/ earlier 440 applications. What applications can I use it.
Yes, it should work.

The issue might be that the '75 convertor might not be the best choice for the earlier car. Everything will fit and it will run down the road, but I can't help but wonder about using a convertor built for a lower horsepower "smog" motor with an earlier motor with more torque and horsepower. It might not make a difference either.

But yea, knock the weights off and it will work. I'll peruse my Mopar trans books and see if there's anything else I'm overlooking.

So I went through every one of the 914 pages of the Direct Connection manual, and now I'm exhausted! I bought the CD for a trip down memory lane, but now I need a trip to an optometrist and a psychiatrist. The 43 "Bulletins" that make up the manual are obtuse, repetitive, and poorly written in many cases. For instance, look at this info for the aspiring racer who wants to cut up their Cuda and fabricate their own rollcage, which seems like a really bad idea to me.

They tell you that you'll need a welder (!) and tin snips, but say nothing about the fishmouth cutter you'll need to "blend the open-ended tube to the main tube". Sheesh!

1659972792656.png

Okay, getting back to David's question, out of the 914 pages, here's the extent of the converter balancing info. Wouldn't you think this important topic would have more specific info? But nope...here it is:

1659970921829.png

1659972017600.png

:BangHead:

So I went through every one of the 914 pages of the Direct Connection manual, and now I'm exhausted! I bought the CD for a trip down memory lane, but now I need a trip to an optometrist and a psychiatrist. The 43 "Bulletins" that make up the manual are obtuse, repetitive, and poorly written in many cases. For instance, look at this info for the aspiring racer who wants to cut up their Cuda and fabricate their own rollcage, which seems like a really bad idea to me.

They tell you that you'll need a welder (!) and tin snips, but say nothing about the fishmouth cutter you'll need to "blend the open-ended tube to the main tube". Sheesh!

View attachment 549727

Okay, getting back to David's question, out of the 914 pages, here's the extent of the converter balancing info. Wouldn't you think this important topic would have more specific info? But nope...here it is:

View attachment 549721

View attachment 549725

Larry Shepard penned much of the manuals back then. They were a compellation of their 10-20 page "tech tips" (or some name like that) that they used to distribute.

Not really done by someone that had great writing skills... and things changed a lot since they were done in the 70's and 80's.

View attachment 549727

View attachment 549721

View attachment 549725

Thanks Trace, this tells me exactly why there are weights on the torque convertor on 440 engines w/ cast crankshafts 1974 - 1976. Will remove weights if used on pre 1974 440 applications w/ steel crankshafts. Thank you again for all the effort to locate this info.

Larry Shepard penned much of the manuals back then. They were a compellation of their 10-20 page "tech tips" (or some name like that) that they used to distribute.

Not really done by someone that had great writing skills... and things changed a lot since they were done in the 70's and 80's.
Yes he did, from 75 to 79. Met him a very long time ago at one of those
Thanks Trace, this tells me exactly why there are weights on the torque convertor on 440 engines w/ cast crankshafts 1974 - 1976. Will remove weights if used on pre 1974 440 applications w/ steel crankshafts. Thank you again for all the effort to locate this info.
David, I just discovered this on page 10, where you wouldn't think to look at the introductory blather of Bulletin 1 from 1976, but here it is:

1659981161153.png

1659981192386.png

Yes he did, from 75 to maybe 80. Met him a very long time ago at one of those Direct Connection seminars, along with some of the other factory wizards....was one of them named Al? Each Bulletin was it's own story, and when they were all finally bound together there was no editing of old info and repetition. It's just a giant amount of sometimes confusing info. And because it was written by an engineer (I be an engenneer myself, and worked with many others) the info coming out if HIS head can sometimes be hard to understand in someone else's head. It's a dry and technical read, as it should be.

I know I sound like I'm knocking it, but only through the lens of 40+ years of rereading stuff that I took as amazing gospel back then vs. how archaic it looks now.

1659982102928.png

Wear your helmet!
:rofl:

"Technical Bulletins"

That was on the tip of my tongue when I wrote "tech tips".

Before they started calling them Bulletins, you'll recall that they were Tune Up Tips.
Oh yeah! I remember that.

And it was "Hustle Stuff" before "Direct Connection" before "Mopar Performance".

And! The original book was white cover before the slicker DC version. I had a couple copies of both versions. The white cover versions kind of fell apart... The DC version was bound better along with better printing. I have at least one copy left... At least the DC version, but there may be a white copy too.

1659986296262.png

I had this 1970 Hustle Stuff book that I got my hands on in 73-74! I was probably 17 and didn't understand half of what all that cool stuff did. Mine fell apart too, by 1982 or so. I distinctly recall seeing "chop sticks" in the tools section and couldn't figure that one out for years and years. Today, I **think** it was groovy talk for a connecting rod installation tool like these. Yes?

1659986362843.png

Today, I **think** it was groovy talk for a connecting rod installation tool like these. Yes?
I have heard them referred to as "chopsticks". Probably not PC these days.

I never spent any money on something like that... I was always going to make some as I was known to do some special work for the Swiss Navy back in my Tool & Diemaker days. Never got around to it though. I always (still do) used rubber hose instead.

Back