73 Imperial "McGoldy" to join the Minnesota herd.

Oh yes -- and whatever lift you decide on -- try to get the widest and longest ones you can. Do a layout on the floor to see if these larger lifts will actually fit in your space before you purchase them. You do want the wider and longer lifts for these Imperials. I have two smaller ones and two larger ones -- I wished I would have gotten all the larger (longer and wider) ones now. Doors much easier to open -- and the Imperials barely fit on the shorter ones.

I bought a Wildfire lift and I'm pretty happy with it. After looking at a few, I decided this has the safest system to lock the lift in place and if there's a cable failure, the car will only drop until the spring loaded locks hit the notches cut in the posts.

Wildfire Standard | wildfire-lifts

Agree on Floor heat. I have that in my main garage and basement. Best upgrade to my house ever. I kick myself for not setting it up in my back garage.

As far as locks. Mine are automatic about every 6” on each post. I always set it down on the locks before I go under.

This is the locking mechanism I'm talking about. Without photos it's difficult to talk about it. The only way the lift platform can go down is if you raise the car platform up, and then the red stop that you see inserted (that is locked horizontally into the cut out in the vertical post) into the cutout in the post can only be turned down. I've seen all the others -- they're just cheaper -- not better. Will the cheaper ones work -- yes they will. But this system will never let go while in the locked position. The others I've seen will let go if the lift is twisted for whatever reason. Just go on YouTube and type in four post lift fail and you won't believe it.

Yes - you can see the cable break safety catch on this BB lift as well. If the cable breaks -- this safety engages the closest stop that's cut into the posts on the way down.

The other photo shows how much room you would have with the wider lift. The normal sized (smaller) ones would be right up to the fender of this 72 Imperial. Because this is the wider and longer lift I have absolutely no issue. Doors open easy. I can get around the lift if need be, and most importantly, you don't need a spotter when you park this thing on either the top or when parking underneath. The same is true on the lift itself. You will be just as close on the top location of the lift as the bottom when you drive the car on. With the narrower lift, it will seem like you will be hitting one of the posts when you inch up towards the front as the car needs to drive by each pair of posts. Like I said, I wished I would have purchased all of my lifts with the wider and longer lifts because anything will fit on them. The smaller lifts will work -- but again, you have to ask if you want this to be easier or harder...........plus if you hit a fender or bumper how much do you want to pay to repair this?

Again -- best of luck on your garage build!!!!!

IMG_9863.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

I bought a Wildfire lift and I'm pretty happy with it. After looking at a few, I decided this has the safest system to lock the lift in place and if there's a cable failure, the car will only drop until the spring loaded locks hit the notches cut in the posts.

Wildfire Standard | wildfire-lifts
Yes Big John, this is the type of mechanism that I wholeheartedly endorse. It is by far the safest setup I've ever seen. I just don't feel comfortable with a "pointer" locking mechanism that looks like it's barely holding onto a welded piece of square stock welded to a built up C made out of angle iron and flats -- the five or six inch solid post with cutouts for the stops is by far the safest -- it's also the most stable that I've ever seen. With an Imperial on this lift up in the air this lift is rock solid. I'd rather trade money for piece of mind but I believe we're kind of in the minority................but I'm O.K. with it.

Yes Big John, this is the type of mechanism that I wholeheartedly endorse. It is by far the safest setup I've ever seen. I just don't feel comfortable with a "pointer" locking mechanism that looks like it's barely holding onto a welded piece of square stock welded to a built up C made out of angle iron and flats -- the five or six inch solid post with cutouts for the stops is by far the safest -- it's also the most stable that I've ever seen. With an Imperial on this lift up in the air this lift is rock solid. I'd rather trade money for piece of mind but I believe we're kind of in the minority................but I'm O.K. with it.
There's a couple of lifts out there besides the Backyard Buddy that use that system. Most likely they come from the same manufacturer and are resold under a couple names. (although not the BB lift)

I looked at the Backyard Buddy and at the time it was about double the cost. They were claiming "all USA materials" also. I don't see that claim (which I thought was dubious at the time) on their site now and the price is inline with the Wildfire lift. New owners too. Probably the cost of the Wildfire went up and the BB went down. Wildfire's price is about $1400 more than I paid in 2019.

With Carlisle coming up, I would expect to see some specials from BB.

I got both my lifts used, hoses and cylinder rebuilds are about the only thing to go wrong. I do have a sticky button and one lift needs the cylinders rebuilt.

After years of thinking it over...the wifey and I decided to demolish our tiny cabin in town and have a builder build a big garage on the lake with an attached house. There should be enough room to store McGoldy, Tina Patina, Hazel Anne and ??? The neighbor a couple doors down is installing a BendPak 4 post lift in his garage. I'm in the early stages of shopping for lifts. I certainly want to pick the brain of the neighbor so I can place electrical, etc...in correct location before we sheetrock and finish. As of right now I believe the plan is a 5 inch thick concrete floor with the epoxy coating finish, a stout heater and finish all the walls and ceiling with paint. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any pointers on a set up or lift brands. The garage is 3 wide 2 extra deep stalls. The sq footage is around 1100 if I recall from the blueprint/specs.

View attachment 539883

View attachment 539884

View attachment 539885
It will be good to see all the Imperials in one place. Interesting that the frame went up before the slab.

It will be good to see all the Imperials in one place. Interesting that the frame went up before the slab.
That's standard practice here. Footings and frost walls go in, house is built, and then the basement and garage slabs are poured last.

That's standard practice here. Footings and frost walls go in, house is built, and then the basement and garage slabs are poured last.

I noticed that too. Also see that the foundation curb is CMU, not cast in place.

Out here we usually install monolithic footing with slab on grade. Reinforcement in slab continues into footings.

I've been using the same 4 post Direct Lift for the past 8 years that @HWYCRZR showed in his post to this thread. I have no complaints or doubt it's safety measures.
The Direct Lift is less expensive than some of the others, but if you're plan is to use it for just storage at your new lake house, the 8000lb unit is strong enough to store any of your Imperials @DocMcNeedy.
You should allow for about 130" to 135" ceiling height in your garage to raise the lift to the top limit with an Imperial on the ramp.
Finally, be sure when the concrete floor is poured, it's thick enough to hold all the weight.
5_28_22 oil change.jpg

Shop lifted on hoist.jpg

I'm getting 5 inch thick concrete with rebar. Not sure if I'm necessarily needing to store any of the Imperials up high. Likely 2 or 3 just parked inside. I have storage units close by. I have a 2000 Sebring convertible that is likely going up if I get a lift. A 5,000 lb. Imperial sitting on a 2,000 lb lift makes me nervous. Maybe I'm too cautious. I'm just always situationally aware of my surroundings to a fault.

get the concrete contractor to add fibre mesh to the mix. Really strengthens the concrete and prevents cracks

I've been using the same 4 post Direct Lift for the past 8 years that @HWYCRZR showed in his post to this thread. I have no complaints or doubt it's safety measures.
The Direct Lift is less expensive than some of the others, but if you're plan is to use it for just storage at your new lake house, the 8000lb unit is strong enough to store any of your Imperials @DocMcNeedy.
You should allow for about 130" to 135" ceiling height in your garage to raise the lift to the top limit with an Imperial on the ramp.
Finally, be sure when the concrete floor is poured, it's thick enough to hold all the weight.
View attachment 559130
View attachment 559129

How much for the dog?

@DocMcNeedy Why is it people can't have just 1 yellow lab. Guess it's kinda like owning C bodies.
My daughter's boyfriend doesn't have any c bodies yet, but 1 yellow lab was not enough...
yellow labs.jpg

Back