74 Monaco Leaf Springs

jason99

Reaction score
While I wait for parts to arrive for my Monaco in the hopes I can get it started, I'm slowly starting to research other spots I think will need to get fixed in order to have a drive-able car. I figure one of those things is rear leaf springs. I have a few random questions:

1) Is ride hide the only thing I should examine to determine if the leafs need replacing?
2) Who makes 74-78 leaf springs? I've seen ESPO in other threads, but they don't list anything for the later years.
3) Reading through my service manual it says "Carlines P,D,C,Y rear springs are preloaded. Never attempt to remove springs without the use of a spring stretcher." I did some searching and couldn't find this tool online, but probably for a lack of using the right keywords. Is this something I should find or simply leave this up to a professional as it's likely to be dangerous.

3) Reading through my service manual it says "Carlines P,D,C,Y rear springs are preloaded. Never attempt to remove springs without the use of a spring stretcher." I did some searching and couldn't find this tool online, but probably for a lack of using the right keywords. Is this something I should find or simply leave this up to a professional as it's likely to be dangerous.
It's so easy, a first-timer can do it successfully.
The only special tools needed are muscles.
The only problem is doing it on the ground on jackstands sucks.
Access to a lift helps immensely.
OR, leave it to a shop.

Good to know. I don't have a lift, but perhaps I'll try anyways when I get that far and can source some new springs, we will see.

I had to use a shop when I broke one. A sound while driving that I hope nobody here has never heard or will ever here. Being from the northeast I was lucky they didn’t go thru the trunk floor. That happens a lot.

I've done five Polaras over the last 18 years on my back. Not sure how a lift would have been easier

I've done five Polaras over the last 18 years on my back. Not sure how a lift would have been easier
Depends on the person's physical state and current health. No?
You can hang wallpaper if you have one arm but two arms would be easier.

Everything is easier on a lift, including waxing your car.

This job isn't too bad without a lift, that's how I've done it many times. I think I could do it faster with a lift, but since I don't have one, there's not much choice. A little bit of thought makes it easy rather than "muscling" it into place.

I jack up the car and place jack stands under the frame, letting the rear drop. Doing one side at a time, I first unbolt the shocks from the plate and then the u-bolts. I place my floor jack under the rear and jack it slightly to take the weight off the springs. Unbolt the shackles and let the spring down on the floor. Unbolt the front and pull the old spring out.

Slide the new spring in and reverse the process. No serious lifting and if you have an impact wrench, the U-bolts are pretty easy.

If I had a lift I would have to stand, I stand all day. Id rather sit or roll around on my back

Back