Not open for further replies.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine etc. Note the A/C.

1977 Dodge 700 Custom | eBay

Truck runs good, has very weak brakes, originally owned by Chrysler for use in their Kokomo Transmission Plant

selling AS-IS Where-IS, shipping is buyer responsibility , any questions please call the store at 219-326-6850 ask for Juele

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'd love to own this thing!!! I also know that every time I parked it somewhere I'd return to find it surrounded by a homeland security swat team.

Nice... makes me think silly RV thoughts... @amazinblue82 what do you think?

BTW... I have some ideas about his braking problems:
View attachment 150763
Go buy it, drop it off in Jacksonville for diesel conversion. Then buy a nice vintage camper trailer and mount it in place of stupid van body. Hitch on the back and pull one of the Imps around.

I saw this post and it got me to thinking about an old truck for my kids to learn to drive in when it's finally time, another 6-1/2 years before the eldest is ready. This caused me to slip over to For Trucks Only to look at their For Sale section. Wow, we do a much better job at search the weeds for good C's then they do trucks. There weren't 2 pages of current ads that had been posted up.

I saw this post and it got me to thinking about an old truck for my kids to learn to drive in when it's finally time, another 6-1/2 years before the eldest is ready. This caused me to slip over to For Trucks Only to look at their For Sale section. Wow, we do a much better job at search the weeds for good C's then they do trucks. There weren't 2 pages of current ads that had been posted up.
That's because we hoard all the trucks and never sell them! Everybody hangs into their old Dodges like they will never find one again. (It's juuuust a little slower than here)

Go buy it, drop it off in Jacksonville for diesel conversion. Then buy a nice vintage camper trailer and mount it in place of stupid van body. Hitch on the back and pull one of the Imps around.

I might go for the diesel conversion since I'm sure this thing isn't set up for distance-hauling...but...

It's amazing that it survived and it's a cool piece of Mopar history. So...

Repaint in original livery, find a way to incorporate windows into a paint scheme for the box. (i'll bet that box was painted with Chrysler logos when it was in use, they don't give up that much free ad space.) Bolt down the roll door and cut a hidden door into the side. Finish the inside (skylights!) like a regular house, the box is probably the best use of space anyway.

I need a chunk of land out in the desert!

Last edited:
It is cool that it is a factory A/C. Would be cool with transparent stickers over the windows( like buses have) and remodel the box to make it original livery and style.

It is cool that it is a factory A/C. Would be cool with transparent stickers over the windows( like buses have) and remodel the box to make it original livery and style.

Yeah, now that's what I'm saying'.

*i'll bet the factory AC is per UAW contract. Chrysler Transport drivers are local 212. When I drove on the AZ proving grounds, test cars had to have functioning AC and radios. That's not to say nothing was ever driven with those systems in-op, but it truly would be a hazard to run very long without them.

Nice... makes me think silly RV thoughts... @amazinblue82 what do you think?

BTW... I have some ideas about his braking problems:
View attachment 150763

I might go for the diesel conversion since I'm sure this thing isn't set up for distance-hauling...but...

It's amazing that it survived and it's a cool piece of Mopar history. So...

Repaint in original livery, find a way to incorporate windows into a paint scheme for the box. (i'll bet that box was painted with Chrysler logos when it was in use, they don't give up that much free ad space.) Bolt down the roll door and cut a hidden door into the side. Finish the inside (skylights!) like a regular house, the box is probably the best use of space anyway.

I need a chunk of land out in the desert!

sorry, late to the party.

hey cantflip. I like both 70BB and Carmine's thinking. The diesel for sure but 70BB's view of the "box" with a more traditional "RV" vibe, BUT with the original 'livery" look somehow with sufficient creature comforts?

my whisperer says, however, i'd have to lower the center of gravity and somehow move it a bit forward (he wanted to lengthen the frame 4-5 ft) .. AND prepare to have my 'molars rattled" without serious suspension work.

he also said "cool-a** truck" and would love to see it restored as original :)

sorry, late to the party.

hey cantflip. I like both 70BB and Carmine's thinking. The diesel for sure but 70BB's view of the "box" with a more traditional "RV" vibe, BUT with the original 'livery" look somehow with sufficient creature comforts?

my whisperer says, however, i'd have to lower the center of gravity and somehow move it a bit forward (he wanted to lengthen the frame 4-5 ft) .. AND prepare to have my 'molars rattled" without serious suspension work.

he also said "cool-a** truck" and would love to see it restored as original :)
I could be on board with any of that, the diesel swap seems the least important IMO... Unless you are hauling a lot of weight or using it a bunch, the gas engine should be fine. I am sure Carmine is right about the gearing, but the "whisperer" is also right about the ride quality... Get an air seat and it should work out (I think).

You are ultimately working from a vision of a long distance rig with all the creature comforts. I tend to see this stuff as a couple times a year use as a bunkhouse/hauler with a charcoal grille set up outside. And I still can't stop thinking about the day there could be a gathering on the roof.

It is a cool a** truck any way it gets saved.

For true long distance I would run from that truck. The amount of reconfiguring is not worth destroying a piece of history. All I would end up using is the cab. Much better technology available today.

I could be on board with any of that, the diesel swap seems the least important IMO... Unless you are hauling a lot of weight or using it a bunch, the gas engine should be fine. I am sure Carmine is right about the gearing, but the "whisperer" is also right about the ride quality... Get an air seat and it should work out (I think).

You are ultimately working from a vision of a long distance rig with all the creature comforts. I tend to see this stuff as a couple times a year use as a bunkhouse/hauler with a charcoal grille set up outside. And I still can't stop thinking about the day there could be a gathering on the roof.

It is a cool a** truck any way it gets saved.

To preserve the purity of this thread, i'll move over to Scenicruisin'? and pick up with this one on "box truck" RV's.

00-1-2-5-5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back