78 NYB Holley Sniper install.. the end of my lean burn fun

Another one... :BangHead:

Do I have to hold an online seminar to show you guys how you spend weeks dialing in a TQ only to have it operate as intended for 3 days?
No, I send it to Woodruff's with the engine specs, and it comes back ready to bolt on with no fiddling.

Here’s the prototype for my secret project……

image.jpg

One of them….

Busy weekend with weddings and other events taking up my “play time”.

Meantime, I’ll just leave this secret project hint right here….

MOPAR 3868245

Busy weekend with weddings and other events taking up my “play time”.

Meantime, I’ll just leave this secret project hint right here….

MOPAR 3868245

Left Air Inlet Yoke Adapter 77 Gran Fury CHRYSLER Roya Monaco NOS Mopar 3868245​

WTF is a Left Air Inlet Yoke Adaptor?

1680535214309.png

Some progress today and yesterday as we close in on completion….

1EB1C116-B130-4CDB-A047-6FBAF658BC5F.jpeg

Drivers side inner fender painted and being re-installed today. Looks good!
82A46C6C-30D5-490D-ADC4-7F7FF81AC8D8.jpeg

Overall shot. We shortened the upper radiator hose where it meets the radiator to give the new A/C lines some breathing room and also give some clearance to the distributor.

Exhaust manifold heat stove is going on (I was told… haven’t seen it in months…. We’ll see)
6916A697-11BE-4A11-A6C2-5AE24E9F291F.jpeg

Running the Sniper control box into the car (Finally!). It will go in the glove box. Used the hole meant for the vacuum line to the e brake release canister. Rigging a mount got the unit with some Velcro to hold it and keep it from banging around…. And allow me to pull it out easily to see it.

It’s getting harder to read all those small numbers lately. Age I guess.

…. In the middle of the install, I was working alone in the shop and managed to accidentally push it off the top of the fender. It popped apart and the memory chip went flying… took me over an hour on my hands a knees to find it. Snapped it all back together and it worked fine. Had my balls in my throat until it did.

Yes.. I know….. I need to put a snap clamp
on and fully push on the vacuum line to the booster…. Lots of little details and sorting to do. More to come; like the excess coil pick up wire from the Sniper main harness.

Last edited:
Been busy…. Limited progress.

Trans is not right. Not engaging right. First slips cold and way too much rpm between pull and drag in gear. Going back. Not driving it. Very disappointed. Not that the tranny didn’t come out right (I’m sure he’ll make it right…..) but because I can’t shake it down…. Detail it like I like and enjoy it yet.

Or share it.

Secret project is almost done. Waiting for a few minor parts before the big reveal.

I’ll post some peekaboo pictures when I get a chance.

Meantime, cleaning and minor sorting under way.

Last edited:
Peripheral projects progress.

First: I put a condom on a fat midget while blindfolded….

906AC27F-D240-4E5D-B3D0-2E0CCCDC60B7.jpeg

I couldn’t even see the camera while taking the picture.

Needless to say…. I had to first stretch it out to fit. Then I took the wire wheel to the retainer ring and painted it….. because, as my daughter loves to say “Dad’s extra”

Then I installed the repaired drivers side wiper arm. Turned it on and got three excellent wipes before the clutch crapped the bed. Heard a thunk and saw that both wipers were still connected so I knew it was the power arm. But which end…..
45554221-186F-4C64-848F-7814FF059D03.jpeg

Several screws later and a bit of vacuuming and I had my answer. Looks like it was at a bit of an angle and in tension. Five years later… it let go. Oh well…. At least I have some practice.
5157664E-F392-496D-B6DC-135E40C80A01.jpeg

Top sheared off from the side in tension.
EA7FB5B8-D33E-4955-B840-B202D3165ACB.jpeg

Next time I’ll bend the bar a bit to remove the tension. Won’t take much.

Had to stop for today because, of course, it’s starting to rain. Irony….

More to come….

Btw… there’s a clue to the secret project in the pictures above… enjoy!

Last edited:
Almost forgot….

A674AFD1-25DF-41B1-B379-86D39708F0A7.jpeg

Brought her home Friday night. Gave her a good bath and polished the rims a bit. Not perfect but better.
6333A091-24E2-4778-B7DA-1F7BEAE39596.jpeg

Went to the shop on the way home to check on the Sanden conversion on the roadrunner…. And went to leave and the starter would not engage. Thought I’d might be the starter relay as it is probably original. Took it apart and it checked out. Cleaned up the contacts a bit while there anyway.
73280A78-7BEF-4DD3-BB7D-2630DA91ABDB.jpeg

Here was my problem. The neutral safety switch had popped off. No way to get it back on and I wasn’t about to use a hammer.
D543E2CA-718B-406B-A1FF-66D59D3506CD.jpeg

Looks like it’s a ‘78 thing. Luckily….
9B5C5496-9364-45FE-A0D1-72F388E3C08C.jpeg

I had an NOS spare in the stash. All better now. The periferal projects continue….

EC9C97E2-F88F-401F-B319-5DB1C4326D25.jpeg

Next up…. Change out the connector for the cruise control on my rig so it doesn’t go up as far with the throttle. The one on the throttle connection to the Sniper is hitting the base of the air cleaner.

This new one is a bit longer (also out of the stash)

I’m figuring that if I mount it with a lower hing point relative to the throttle it might just work.

This part is actually fun. Involves math and sketches.

Last edited:
Back