78 NYB Holley Sniper install.. the end of my lean burn fun

Here’s the prototype for my secret project……

View attachment 589516
One of them….

Left Air Inlet Yoke Adapter 77 Gran Fury CHRYSLER Roya Monaco NOS Mopar 3868245​

WTF is a Left Air Inlet Yoke Adaptor?

View attachment 589964

This is the closest pic I could find of the yoke adapter:
s-l500.jpg

Based on what you call 'clues' (and I use that term loosely!), I see reference to some sort of air cleaner hose adapter, some shallow blue scoopy-thingies, and pics of the cowl.
I am guessing some sort of 70s-Nascar-style cowl-based fresh air inlet to the air cleaner.

But the car is pretty nice, so whatever is done must be tasteful and discrete.
Mounted at the rear of the air cleaner, with the original snorkel retained as a decoy, and the size/shape of the blue things suggest baffles for in the cowl to keep leaves and mice from getting sucked in.

Am I close?

I once saw a Sinatra Imperial with a s
Shaker. Extremely well done enough to equal factory. It looked terrific.
I say there's a lost opportunity here...

This is the closest pic I could find of the yoke adapter:
View attachment 591211
Based on what you call 'clues' (and I use that term loosely!), I see reference to some sort of air cleaner hose adapter, some shallow blue scoopy-thingies, and pics of the cowl.
I am guessing some sort of 70s-Nascar-style cowl-based fresh air inlet to the air cleaner.

But the car is pretty nice, so whatever is done must be tasteful and discrete.
Mounted at the rear of the air cleaner, with the original snorkel retained as a decoy, and the size/shape of the blue things suggest baffles for in the cowl to keep leaves and mice from getting sucked in.

Am I close?
Close….. but not exactly. Waiting on one final small part to finish and reveal. It’s stuck in transit. Was supposed to arrive Saturday. Now looks to be sometime next week if ever. Just as I head out of town.

Limited shakedown continues as do peripheral projects. Solid rain for the last two days. Grew tired of getting wet.

Tranny still slips. Especially when cold. Looking to have the guy who did it come to see it while I step out of town for a few days. Looking like Friday or Monday.

A/C is working as before but for a while it wasn’t. Swapped out the amplifier and it is all better as to function.

Replaced horn relay. I think it blew because of the largerish (14”) trumpet horn I added…. Maybe… you think? Will have to wire it on its own direct feed with its own relay. Sounds nice with that third deeper horn. More like a big car. Mopar horns are sort of crappy tinny sounding to my ears. This lends an interesting contrast….. without being garish. All in good taste.

Lubed the headlight doors. They were getting a little stuck in opening. Been here before.

General cleaning continues.

Found a replacement headlight operation decal to replace the the original. It’s a dead on match. Same as early charger… probably the same motor. Same rotation direction.

1C9DF74A-44B5-4840-8BF3-0B9DEE600CD0.jpeg

Here’s a copy of the item I found on EBay

71013ABE-C165-490F-BF80-5A8B5EC6624A.jpeg

Girl has a big ***… brake lights and back up lights were both not working. Loose brake pedal switch connection and two new bulbs for the backup lights sorted it all out this morning.

Had to go to the shop before heading out to the office this morning…. so I could do this out of the rain. Both are very close by.

Last edited:
I once saw a Sinatra Imperial with a s
Shaker. Extremely well done enough to equal factory. It looked terrific.
I say there's a lost opportunity here...
Sounds like there's another Stan out there somewhere, putting a doesn't-belong modification on a car, and doing it with style. :thumbsup:

Sounds like there's another Stan out there somewhere, putting a doesn't-belong modification on a car, and doing it with style. :thumbsup:
1681312958241.png

I will say it again and pray I never have to again.
I did NOT put those AutoZone hood scoops on the NYB.
Did NOT...

Thank you.

@commando1
Oh - I was referring to the 4-spd and the overall package, not the scoops, I was aware those were a downstream 'improvement'. Sorry for the confusion.

This Imp doesn't do it for me, the wheels and fat-tires out back aren't my thing.
I was picturing something more like this.
5.9 Magnum, beefed A500 OD, 3.91 gears and Dippy copcar susp parts will make a comparable car.
Nd9GcRihrGHMlR8u5N7zwP1AISjajqM5XrMXj73RQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

I’m not an old lady!

… but I have been forced to drive the New Yorker like one…. To keep from having the tranny slip. Easy does it seem to be fine. Just exasperating.

It’s killing me! I want to stomp test it but I’m a mature adult and can delay gratification for a week or so.

But damn. Even an old lady can feel there’s some real power there now.

A few things I’ve noticed so far is that the increased electrical load of the fuel pump kills the voltage at night. Not right away but in normal traffic, the battery voltage slowly drops. Little red light comes on and the sniper display shows barely 12V. No bueno. That’s something to sort.

RainX is a wonderful product that deserves a Nobel prize for automotive progress. I’ve used it since it came on the market and was being hawked at car shows. The **** just plain works. Wipers are dead until the new part arrives so I’ve been limiting my driving as much as I can but I still get some rain. Even without the wipers I can see well enough to feel safe. And above 40mph, the rain just blows off.

Tuning the air fuel mixture…. Just ‘cause I can.

Stock target settings are: 13.5 at idle, 14 under throttle/power and back further down to 14.5 for cruise..

Idle I think may be too rich. As is cruise I think. Will drop that to 13.8 or 14 to handle idle accessories and drive train drag at low rpm. First step.

Thoughts?

Idle AFR might be fine, give the engine what it wants to idle well. Unless it stinks your clothes, then lean it out.
Your noted power area might need to be richer, cruise might be able to be leaner.

If you still have EGR, you might be able to benefit from having the Sniper control that (if possible) and provide the ~50deg of timing that EGR needs?
A lot of it depends on your cam, cyl heads/combustion chamber and timing curve.

Also - advancing ign timing is the fastest way to 'catch' a falling idle, it works on the next cyl firing, so is more responsive than the IAC response.
You can increase timing at idle and drop the IAC flow, just don't maximize the timing or you have no 'reserve' of timing advance to use to maintain idle.
Generally speaking, leaner mixtures require more timing as there are fewer gas molecules for the flame to travel across, so more timing helps that.

RainX is a wonderful product that deserves a Nobel prize for automotive progress... Even without the wipers I can see well enough to feel safe. And above 40mph, the rain just blows off.
I completely agree. I've had some on hand ever since my '84 Ram that had inoperable wipers. Used it last on the Cicada, my '68 Monaco 500. I love that stuff.

Dropped idle F/A to 13.8 from 13.5. Slight cold hesitation at throttle tip in noted. It goes back to 13.5 if the IAC adjustment doesn’t take care of it.

IAC a little high. Noted it got to 80% on cold start pull away this morning. Warm IAC is around 15-20%. I’ll adjust that down a bit to warm between 8-12 as per Holley/several videos recommendation.

I’ll drive it a while like this and then pull cruise F/A down (leaner) to 14.2 to start….. Drive. Report.

It’s all related… so one step at a time.

Also finished the model for the 3D print of the pump cover in the trunk….

BDB71403-5F73-4CD7-8A3D-5E4DCB4079B1.jpeg

Cool no? Can’t wait to get the print. Should take about a day to print it.

8B443484-A9E9-4461-B040-5B84A4B54799.jpeg

The blue thing (cut up coolant container) was just to get the profile of the edge for the flange.

This will let me close out one end of this project.

Secret project will have to wait… transmission guy coming in Saturday to check it out. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

I put a bit of trans medic in (about 8 oz) and it actually made it better. Thinking it was an older rebuild kit and the seals may have been hard or shrunk up a bit. That’s how it feels anyway…

Regardless, i won’t need the NYB next week for actual transportation as the Roadrunner is almost done. Freon R12 delivered, expansion valve… waiting just on the hoses. It should be delivered to my house by Monday.

I didn’t like how the compressor lined up so I moved it a bit to the passenger side to align the belts and avoid/get clearance from the top hose, bypass and heater hose. This required some noggin work to figure out and the addition of a free wheeling pulley to clear the water pump with more than a 1/4 “. Pulley came in today.

Progress today. On almost all fronts.

Also got a new client in the weirdest way I’ve ever gotten one. She’s a pilot for a major carrier and saw one of my public projects on Miami Beach. A bathroom concession building on the beach I did 15 years ago….. go figure! She likes my public crapper and wants me to do her house.

Lol. Life is truly Random!

Last edited:
Dropped idle F/A to 13.8 from 13.5. Slight cold hesitation at throttle tip in noted. It goes back to 13.5 if the IAC adjustment doesn’t take care of it.

IAC a little high. Noted it got to 80% on cold start pull away this morning. Warm IAC is around 15-20%. I’ll adjust that down a bit to warm between 8-12 as per Holley/several videos recommendation.

I’ll drive it a while like this and then pull cruise F/A down (leaner) to 14.2 to start….. Drive. Report.

It’s all related… so one step at a time.

Also finished the model for the 3D print of the pump cover in the trunk….

View attachment 591352
Cool no? Can’t wait to get the print. Should take about a day to print it.

View attachment 591361

The blue thing (cut up coolant container) was just to get the profile of the edge for the flange.

This will let me close out one end of this project.

Secret project will have to wait… transmission guy coming in Saturday to check it out. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

I put a bit of trans medic in (about 8 oz) and it actually made it better. Thinking it was an older rebuild kit and the seals may have been hard or shrunk up a bit. That’s how it feels anyway…

Regardless, i won’t need the NYB next week for actual transportation as the Roadrunner is almost done. Freon R12 delivered, expansion valve… waiting just on the hoses. It should be delivered to my house by Monday.

I didn’t like how the compressor lined up so I moved it a bit to the passenger side to align the belts and avoid/get clearance from the top hose, bypass and heater hose. This required some noggin work to figure out and the addition of a free wheeling pulley to clear the water pump with more than a 1/4 “. Pulley came in today.

Progress today. On almost all fronts.

Also got a new client in the weirdest way I’ve ever gotten one. She’s a pilot for a major carrier and saw one of my public projects on Miami Beach. A bathroom concession building on the beach I did 15 years ago….. go figure! She likes my public crapped and wants me to do her house.

Lol. Life is truly Random!
Curious to see what the Trans issue is Jav…had mine rebuilt last year and ever since, it won’t engage right away once places in “D” or “R” until warmed up or accelerated on to build up pressure..fluids levels good….Hmmmm

Curious to see what the Trans issue is Jav…had mine rebuilt last year and ever since, it won’t engage right away once places in “D” or “R” until warmed up or accelerated on to build up pressure..fluids levels good….Hmmmm
Same. Although better yesterday.

Come to a stop in drive, release the brake and it barely crawls forward. Give it a little gas and it engages. Strange.

Same. Although better yesterday.

Come to a stop in drive, release the brake and it barely crawls forward. Give it a little gas and it engages. Strange.
Keep us posted. Mine only does it on cold start, once warm or Op temp she’s good the rest of the day..

Only on the first start of the day, especially if the car has sat for several days without being started?
If you start the car, let it idle in neutral for ~15 secs, does the problem go away?

Back