78 NYB Holley Sniper install.. the end of my lean burn fun

You just can't catch a break can you?
Not that… I’m pretty lucky and tenacious.

But….I really upset the delicate balance of the old girl. I sort of expected the tranny wouldn’t like the extra power it had to deal with.

I had been nursing it along for the last couple of years with a recent flush and filter about 18 months ago and just now with the replacement torque converter. It’s time just came. It was giving me warning.

I plan to drive her quite a bit when she’s done. So better now than later.

One good thing I’ve noted is that she runs cooler with the Sniper. Lower end of the operating temp on the gauge and showing around 200 fully warmed up(on the sniper sensor). Of course, that is without the A/C compressor and condenser contributing heat. But still. Not even making steam.

View attachment 586654
Great new battery charger at the shop. It actually started at 70%. Alternator was putting out all it could at 14 volts and the system would not stop charging and wouldn’t produce more than 12.2 volts at idle. After two days of intermittent charging and resting, all is now good.

You may well have some little short draining that battery. Don't be surprised if you need to jump start the car again. Starting at 70% of WHAT is my question. You got enough charge into that battery to turn the motor over, but something sucks current off, OR, your alternator won't charge decently at your idle. Mind you, the OLD alternators were pretty crude, so 12.2 V at a 600 rpm idle wouldn't be too low. With everything turned OFF, use an ammeter at the battery and see if current isn't still trickling out.

You may well have some little short draining that battery. Don't be surprised if you need to jump start the car again. Starting at 70% of WHAT is my question. You got enough charge into that battery to turn the motor over, but something sucks current off, OR, your alternator won't charge decently at your idle. Mind you, the OLD alternators were pretty crude, so 12.2 V at a 600 rpm idle wouldn't be too low. With everything turned OFF, use an ammeter at the battery and see if current isn't still trickling out.
Good idea…. Will check it.

Transmission should be done by Monday or Tuesday. But the cost has certainly gone up since the last time I did one.

Need to post a few wants.

Revised A/C hoses arrived today. Mucho better.

System flush and assembly with vacuum
Test to follow.

Pulling front passenger side wheel house for access of/pull A/C fan to vacuum out debris…. From the noise it must be quite a lot. (Perhaps someone’s home?)

Surprise cool thing also in progress.

Lube up that power antenna motor while you are at it.
Also, replace the fan with a GM unit. Exact fit, more powerful.
One of these?

061B5B6B-588F-490B-9899-48F5F34A7333.jpeg

Revised A/C hoses arrived today. Mucho better.

System flush and assembly with vacuum
Test to follow.

Pulling front passenger side wheel house for access of/pull A/C fan to vacuum out debris…. From the noise it must be quite a lot. (Perhaps someone’s home?)

Surprise cool thing also in progress.
Did the same to mine a couple of summers back. Don’t know if you ever pulled the inner wheel well before, but should come out pretty easily, going back in can be a little tricky. I had both of mine powder coated while out. And was being careful not to scratch. So that move added to my difficulties. Also Give me a chance to install a new fan motor and newly refurbished power antenna.

Not intending to hijack your thread Jav, just sharing some pictures of what you’ll see when you drop the inner fender well.

E3C4497C-3C42-4D1A-A8B4-E9608424FBC7.jpeg

96DF2917-AEB9-42BE-8ED9-9C15A68C87C5.jpeg

3BE1379B-3DE9-4568-B246-A73A95717BFC.jpeg

DE7E27AF-1256-43F4-9FA7-5E4A7F48FE11.jpeg

119D148E-8B14-4815-B5D0-6CC18116D141.jpeg

5AEAF172-828B-4EBE-91ED-FB4B00E82523.jpeg

Did the same to mine a couple of summers back. Don’t know if you ever pulled the inner wheel well before, but should come out pretty easily, going back in can be a little tricky. I had both of mine powder coated while out. And was being careful not to scratch. So that move added to my difficulties. Also Give me a chance to install a new fan motor and newly refurbished power antenna.

Not intending to hijack your thread Jav, just sharing some pictures of what you’ll see when you drop the inner fender well.

View attachment 587487

View attachment 587488

View attachment 587489

View attachment 587491

View attachment 587492

View attachment 587493
Thanks! Very helpful my friend. Especially the views of the fan.

Did you change the fan?

Last edited:
Thanks! Very helpful my friend. Especially the views of the fan.

Did you change the fan?
Certainly, glad to help. I did change the fan motor but not the squirrel cage. I don’t know that tue OE motor was bad, but I happen to have a new one, so I just walked out.

Love your detail Jav! So much of what you are describing will help me with my 79 300. I am considering the Sanden upgrade and how best to hook up my cruise control cable to the Eddy. My good friend Larry's @Lftovrs 76 NYB needs the ATC II diagnosed so I will be picking your brain on that front. :D

Last edited:
Back