78 sunroof Newport ? ever seen 1 ?

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has ever come across a 78 Newport with a power sunroof ?
i never have, but there were 24 2door htops and 24 4door htops made with them for a total of 48..............
which is really scarce compared to the 1,510 NYBs with sunroofs ( 731 2drs and 779 4dhtops)

I have one of the 779….. never knew the breakdown. Thanks.

And…. No, I don’t remember seeing a Newport with it. It was an expensive option as I recall.

I have had two NYB's One a 77 4 door (triple burgundy white stripes) the other a 78 2 door triple Dove gray red stripes) with St Regis option. Absolutely great road cars but what a pain in the butt lean burn

Throw the Thermoquad in the dumpster. Piece of cake after that.
Or have the TQ rebuilt as a non lean burn carb specifically tailored to your vehicle. Demonsizzler did mine. Ever since I changed my 300-H to a TQ over 10yrs ago, I get better gas mileage, don't have to wait to warm it up, no stumbling and haven't touched it. Best carb ever.

I have had two NYB's One a 77 4 door (triple burgundy white stripes) the other a 78 2 door triple Dove gray red stripes) with St Regis option. Absolutely great road cars but what a pain in the butt lean burn
I did away with the lean burn on my 77. Ran a msd ignition etc. Runs like a top now. Def worse fuel milage but motor stays alot cooler snd just seems to run so much smoother

just wondering if anyone has ever come across a 78 Newport with a power sunroof ?
i never have, but there were 24 2door htops and 24 4door htops made with them for a total of 48..............
which is really scarce compared to the 1,510 NYBs with sunroofs ( 731 2drs and 779 4dhtops)

20230611_184334.jpg

Post a pic of the fender tag so we can start looking for more rare options.

I started looking up some but coming up unknown

View attachment 621046

View attachment 621047
Come on now!! Ya can’t just post TWO pic.. what’s the interior, Eng etc. look like? and a back story as well. I see what looks like a glass roof panel. Hmm, I was under the assumption that ASC only did the solid roof panels of the open roof NYB’s not glass.

I see what looks like a glass roof panel. Hmm, I was under the assumption that ASC only did the solid roof panels of the open roof NYB’s not glass.

And I don't see M51 for a Power Sun Roof on the fender tag.

Newport
Four door
Sunroof
No vinyl

Maybe a handful built. Doesn't make it priceless by any stretch of the imagination, though.

Hmm, I was under the assumption that ASC only did the solid roof panels of the open roof NYB’s not glass.

I think that's a fairly safe assumption. I know that ASC did make glass panels in the same era for Lincoln. The big thing is, all "factory" sunroof cars, by ASC, had vinyl roofs. That, along with the lack of tag code leads me to believe that this was an after purchase add on. It looks like a nice job was done. I'd love to see some close up pictures.

Back