8.25 to 9.25 rear swap on 77 Monaco

Elwood470

Reaction score
My 77 Monaco has a 8.25 rear and I need to upgrade to a 9.25. What car should I look for in the salvage yard to make this an easy swap?
Any and all suggestions are welcome!

IMG_5510.JPG
IMG_4682.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG
IMG_5488.JPG
If it's a B body Monaco you will need to find one from a 75-79 B body. If it's a C body Royal Monaco then a 74-78 C body. If you swap a 74-78 C body rear in a 75-79 B body it will be a bit wide & look like the cars pictured

I just sold the last one I had in stock Saturday. If you don't find one let me know. I plan to buy a couple more as soon as I can find them

Last edited:
Actually, just found one with disc brakes.
Now I need a sure grip for a 9.25.

If that 9.25 you found came out of a 74-75 Imperial....you may want to reconsider. Brake rotors, pads, hardware, calipers and parking brake parts are impossible to find for rear disk Imperial axles. I would go with a 74-78 C-Body 9.25 drum brake axle.

Chrysler went back to a drum brake axle for 76-78 C-Bodies.

And before you use any 90s fullsize truck parts for that 9-1/4", read on the internet. I've heard of lots of problems with that rearend.

Actually, just found one with disc brakes.
Now I need a sure grip for a 9.25.
If that 9.25 you found came out of a 74-75 Imperial....you may want to reconsider. Brake rotors, pads, hardware, calipers and parking brake parts are impossible to find for rear disk Imperial axles. I would go with a 74-78 C-Body 9.25 drum brake axle.

Chrysler went back to a drum brake axle for 76-78 C-Bodies.
I suspect I know where you found this one too, one of my potential stops in July... I wasn't interested in another axle anyhow, just hoping they soften on their pricing by then, they wanted too much for some of their stuff. Of course I just wanted cheap spares...

I would love to see those rear disc assemblies get enough love for parts reproductions, but I doubt it will ever happen. I couldn't find many parts for my first one in the mid 1980's. Drum brake stuff is cheap, but your going to need backing plates to put them on... and may have trouble finding some of the non-wear parts... sorry for the bad news.

I passed on the disc setup..It's impossible to find rotors and other things. Just getting a regular 9.25 with drums. Thanks everyone for the warnings cuz at the time, I didn't know it was hard to find parts for this setup.

Glad to save you the headache down the road. Also the proportioning valve is different for the rear disc axle setup.

Back