8 3/4" third members

TURBOFIRE

Reaction score
Okay, I have a couple of questions. I understand that the three main castings have different pinion diameters. I understand that axle shafts are axle shafts. My car has a 742 with 2.76 open ratio. I want to either buy or have a new third member built with 3.55 sure grip. Question #1 - If I have a 742, do I need to build or buy another 742 to replace it or can a buy a 489?
Question #2 - Will the U-joint/drive shaft work fine if I do find another third member that is not a 742?
Question #3 - So if I'm thinking correctly, I only need to know what casting # I have if I intent to rebuild that specific third member or is there something I'm missing? Thanks

You can put a limited slip carrier in your 742 with a new ring gear and pinion, or you can get a complete drop out/third member already set up.

You should have the big yolk on your car if it is original which I'm sure it is. If you get a 489 drop out, get it set up with the correct yolk on it and don't think you can just pull yours off and swap it out because the 489s use a crush sleeve to set up the preload on your pinion bearing. The 742s, 741s etc are shimmed.

I was really wanting to leave the original third member original. Then, get a second third member to build. This is why I was wondering if I still need to get another 742 to build or if I could use a 489, seeing how they seem to be easier to come by. The only question I guess is will the draft shaft mount up to the 489?

The only challenge with going to the 489 from the 742 is making sure you have the same pinion diameter. They made 2 ujoint sizes. A 7260 small ujoint, and a 7290 large ujoint.

Hmmmm I bet you could locate those u joints if you looked hard enough. It was just 7 years ago I bought them off the shelf at the local drive shaft store

If this is the case, why couldn't they build me a 742 third member?

They could build you a 741 if you'd like. They all will fit your car.

The 741 case can be had cheap because it is considered inferior to the 742 & 489. This is mostly myth. The biggest downside to the 741 is limited ratio selection.

Kevin

Back