906vs516 heads

I don't see myself spending a grand on heads for the fury. Maybe a cornet,charger or something a bit lighter with only 2 doors.

I'll stick with the irons thank you, because this is yet another discussion that doesn't instill any faith that I'd be getting a quality product with an aluminum head. At least with iron I know what I'm getting and it's bulletproof period.

Of all the cracked BigBlock heads I have ever seen or heard of none have gone to water. And if they did I would not use the block either, because apparently somebody beat the snot out of it.

There is a significant difference in the ports in the 516s and 915/906s. Guys that use a lot of iron usually toss the 516s because they floor is flat, the short turn sucks in comparison, and the exhaust is really, really bad with the smaller valve and short roof. Personally, I liek the 516s. I upgrade to the 1.74 valve and hardened seats - some poorer castings may not have the meat for 1.81s and new seats because of core shift and frankly without a bit of shaping the chamber and port won't use the 1.81 fully anyway. The 906s have the best combination of ports, but that huge chamber. To me, I'll spend some time with a grinder and give the ports some help, and take the closed chamber. I've had more than a few 440s making past 450hp with 516s and hydraulic cams under.530 lift, but if you really want to make some power, the 516s are probably not the head you want to start with. Find 915s, or upgrade to aftermarket aluminums.

I know a guy that is basically using 516s and cloning them into Super Stock heads through extensive machining. He knows them like the back of his hand and they look and perform as they should.

Really?? That's interesting. I've been talking with a couple buds about the next time I pull the 413 out punching it to a 426. I need to do a bit more research but I think the castings are thick enough since its a 72 truck block. Any idea what your buddy charges for this "massaging"?

Moparts Tech Archive...516 vs 906 vs 452
all the data is there. I have a set of 915's with bigger valves, back cut and blended bowls, hardened seats, compared springs and retainers, port matched yards yadda.
Cost of machine work was $600 not including valves,springs or retainers or original price of the heads. So I have about $1200 in them.
The 516's are attractive with regard to velocity for a nice street engine.

i purchased a set of stealth heads for my sons project and had them shipped directly to modern cylinder head. Jeff worked a little magic, checked the individual flow rates, changed the angles on the valves etc..

i dont know if I am any better off than if I purchased Victors or Indy's and just bolted them on but I FEEL better. I really think for a C body cruiser the iron heads are the way to go.
in any case if the 516's are free take them and you can decide later.

Really?? That's interesting. I've been talking with a couple buds about the next time I pull the 413 out punching it to a 426. I need to do a bit more research but I think the castings are thick enough since its a 72 truck block. Any idea what your buddy charges for this "massaging"?
I'll find out for you or just put you in touch with him.

Sounds good, thanks! Is he local?
Near Sandusky Ohio iirc. I sold him a whole bunch of 906s last year and he recently came back up for a pair of small block heads and he brought with him examples of his handy work. He's a wealth of knowledge and after a talk with him you'll not look at a pair of aluminums unless you've got closer to 3 or 4 grand to spend. He's had his hands all over most of the aluminums as well and in order to make them comparable to iron it's big money. He does most if not all of his machining with cnc.
Pm sent with his contact info.

Back