WANTED !970 Fury Big Block heavy Duty Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomTom

Reaction score
Contact seller
Was there a 4 core option? Also who and at what price for an aftermarket replacement radiator? Aluminum or copper? Which is best? Car is running 440-6 pack with air conditioning. Also using R-12 for A.C.

Was there a 4 core option? Also who and at what price for an aftermarket replacement radiator? Aluminum or copper? Which is best? Car is running 440-6 pack with air conditioning. Also using R-12 for A.C.

I am a big believer in keeping the stock 26" radiator that would be standard with the 440 engine. The brass radiators are more durable and keep the stock appearance, so I would re-core the factory unit and that will cost $400 to $450. This will also allow you to keep the factory fan shroud. The 6BBL was not an option on the factory cars with A/C. The front carb was in the way of the compressor mount and the compressor would not survive very long with the higher RPM's of the 6BBL setup. You can probably get away with this combination if you remember to shut off the A/C before you put your foot into it assuming your have figured out a mounting system for the compressor. I do not remember a 4 core 26" radiator, but with maximum cooling option the was a higher fin count available which was usually adequate.

R-12 or R-134a will not make much difference as to the radiator, as one way or another, you will still be transferring the same amount of BTU's. It is recommended that the aftermarket condenser be used with R-134a.

Dave

Last edited:
I agree with what Dave has said above. You would probably fine with a 26" 3-core, narrow fin high capacity core unless your engine is putting out 700 or more HP.

With the AC, if you're running the old style RV2 compressor you must have a modified air cleaner setup... and to avoid blowing up the compressor you should consider some sort of RPM based compressor cutoff - I believe the mid 70s cop cars had something like that.

I know that an option on 72 Police cars was a dash mounted A/C compressor cut off switch for use in high speed pursuits.

I am a big believer in keeping the stock 26" radiator that would be standard with the 440 engine. The brass radiators are more durable and keep the stock appearance, so I would re-core the factory unit and that will cost $400 to $450. This will also allow you to keep the factory fan shroud. The 6BBL was not an option on the factory cars with A/C. The front carb was in the way of the compressor mount and the compressor would not survive very long with the higher RPM's of the 6BBL setup. You can probably get away with this combination if you remember to shut off the A/C before you put your foot into it assuming your have figured out a mounting system for the compressor. I do not remember a 4 core 26" radiator, but with maximum cooling option the was a higher fin count available which was usually adequate.

R-12 or R-134a will not make much difference as to the radiator, as one way or another, you will still be transferring the same amount of BTU's. It is recommended that the aftermarket condenser be used with R-134a.

Dave
Thanks for the info. Originally the car was a 318, but many years and parts later upgraded to the 440-6. This car has been stored in a barn for the last 25 years, so no telling how many nightmares. Most of my 440 parts came from an 70 Fury Interceptor. The 6-pack was a swap and trade deal, and worked great, albeit I only got 5 MPG. I also installed an electric fuel pump just after the tank, and used the largest filter I could buy. Was there a larger fuel line on the 6-pack cars? I know it used a higher volume rebuildable mechanical fuel pump. I'm needing to purchase a radiator outright. Any info on "Automotive Supply Inc." as far as the quality of their aftermarket radiators?

Have not used that company. www.partsgeek.com shows a 26" brass radiator. Did this car have a 26" radiator to start with? A lot of 318 factory cars had a 22" unit. You might have to change the core support to get a proper fit. www.manciniracing.com has the fan shroud if you need one.

The fuel lines on factory 6BBL cars was a 3/8" and the tank sending unit has a 3/8" hose nipple. The factory 318 car will have a 5/16 fuel line, you will probably need to change the tank sending unit and the fuel lines to get enough fuel to run the 6BBL at full throttle. www.inlinetube.com can supply that larger fuel lines More importantly, the 318 car will have drum brakes and a 7 3/4" rear end. Neither of those is up to operating with the 6BBL engine. You have much work to do to make this car a safe driver.

Dave

Thanks for the info. Originally the car was a 318, but many years and parts later upgraded to the 440-6. This car has been stored in a barn for the last 25 years, so no telling how many nightmares. Most of my 440 parts came from an 70 Fury Interceptor. The 6-pack was a swap and trade deal, and worked great, albeit I only got 5 MPG. I also installed an electric fuel pump just after the tank, and used the largest filter I could buy. Was there a larger fuel line on the 6-pack cars? I know it used a higher volume rebuildable mechanical fuel pump. I'm needing to purchase a radiator outright. Any info on "Automotive Supply Inc." as far as the quality of their aftermarket radiators?

Someone on this forum may have a used radiator for a 70 big block that they would sell or check on eBay.

On the fuel line, I believe that Fine Lines has the 3/8" fuel lines available. However, on my 68 Sport Fury with a 520" stroker I did not upgrade the fuel line and instead use a Holley Blue electric pump near the tank as a "pusher" that goes to a fuel pressure regulator and then to a Carter high volume mechanical fuel pump and have no problems with fuel starvation. Sounds like you already have the electric fuel pump in place so this type of set up may work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back