A/C for the Admiral

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My Vintage air compressor conversion kit for the Admiral came today. We'll see how this go's.

DSC02439.jpg

You have lots to do before your Christmas road trip... please throw in a few picture of your progress. As a suggestion, which may be unnecessary, R134 is far cheaper if you buy a 30# cylinder... I usually buy at around $75-$90... price always fluctuates.

Are you going to run a new cross flow condenser?

I didn't plan on changing the condenser. I'll see what happens when the system gets pulled down into a vacuum.

I'll get the new belts tomorrow, alignment looks good. The compressor bracket kit is well made and fit perfect. They could use a good service writer for their instructions though. Lucky the pictures were good.
I also found a kinked line at the receiver dryer that I will have to replace, A trip to the salvage yard might yield one of those.

A drum of 134 would be much cheaper, but I have no intension of going into the A/C business so I'll just get the three cans that I'll need.

Pictures so far.

DSC02440 (Large).jpg

DSC02441 (Large).jpg

DSC02442 (Large).jpg

I also found a kinked line at the receiver dryer that I will have to replace, A trip to the salvage yard might yield one of those.

A drum of 134 would be much cheaper, but I have no intension of going into the A/C business so I'll just get the three cans that I'll need.

Hopefully there is someone nearby that can fabricate a new line for you. If the junkyard doesn't work out and you can't find it elsewhere... the truck parts stores usually can refer you to who helps them out with odd hoses and lines... I have been amazed at how often the truck guys have answers us car guys didn't know how to find.

As to the refrigerant, I understand. it takes me somewhere between 5-10 years to finish one with my cars and occasionally helping out a friend. Please be cautious of the small cans, around here the part stores often only stock the stuff with sealant. A/C sealant is a bad idea and can ruin parts.

Good luck with your search. Jeff

Most hydraulics shops can fab one for you in less than 24 hours. If you can't find one Benz Hydraulics in Bear, Delaware will make one for you.

Most hydraulics shops can fab one for you in less than 24 hours. If you can't find one Benz Hydraulics in Bear, Delaware will make one for you.

Thanks guys. Most any A/C equipped Mopar from the era used the same line. I know of several in nearby salvage yards. It gives me a good reason to go visit them, (not that I need a reason).

Thanks guys. Most any A/C equipped Mopar from the era used the same line. I know of several in nearby salvage yards. It gives me a good reason to go visit them, (not that I need a reason).

Any formals, or forgotten B's in these yards? :toothy5:

Look forward to seeing this. Would like to do this same conversion on my cars as well.

Please keep us posted as I am thinking of doing the same on my 73 Road Runner..... When the rv2 finally gives out.... Not for lack of working.but to steady the vibration on my 340.

I also use r12 and the cost has come down of late to less than $30 a can.

I did a similar conversion to my Polara about 6-8 years ago using the Classic Auto Air bracket kit and Sanden compressor. R134a, did *not* change the condensor, and it works great. You'll be happy! I do recommend getting some AC flush solvent and thoroughly flushing the evaporator and condensor then blasting them out with compressed air.

Photo set of install:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/440_Magnum/slideshow/AC Kit on 66 Polara

After a few years use:

7DEE972E-512E-4E2B-8AD8-EE9959DC5827_zps8grfj4uw.jpg

Back