A/C noise/ grinding

pmschmitt

Reaction score
My 69 Chrysler 300 with a 440 has started making some pretty obnoxious noise originating from the a/c. The car is a factory ac car that has not worked since my purchase of the car ( on my list of fixes but not at the top). Last week I went to turn on the heat ( which does work) and the whining grinding noise started under the hood. I immediately turned it off and the noise stopped. When I got home I localized the noise to the ac compressor. It starts squealing when the magnetic clutch kicks in. So here are my questions.

1) do the ac clutches go out or is it most likely the whole compressor ( i.e. Bearings in compressor)
2) if I have to remove the whole compressor etc, it seems a good time to fix the AC problem. Is it best to return it to factory or is there a better product for ac than was original to 1969. If better product exists what is it.
3) still don't understand why when I turn on the heat it activates the ac clutch.... Is this a separate problem, possibly a vacuum leak of sorts?

i have a video of the problem but don't know how to post videos

I remeber someone talking about about replacing their ac some many months ago and how it was amazing now and we shouldn't wait to do it because it was so great. Can't remeber the thread though

as always any help appreciated.
Paul

I had a A/C clutch that was noisy when engaged turned out to be just the clutch on mine. It is held on by a single bolt in center and is a taper fit so tap it with a hammer around the pulley and it should pop off, you should be able to tell if it is the bearings in clutch by looking feeling turning by hand. If it is the compressor and you are not concerned with "originality" a sanden compressor is light years ahead.

The ac always engages on my Imp on any position,IIRC it keps everything (seals,ect) from drying out and leaking freon. You can unplug the compressor clutch magneto, should be down by the dizzy that will keep you from tossing belts when the compressor throws a rod. they are rebuildable I think, just resealed mine and a couple of cans of gas later COLD AC!!

Haha ok sounds like I should have checked the oil in the compressor..... I am not worried about originality of the car is the sanded compressor worth the upgrade? How much difference in cost are we talking about here?

The Sanden style compressor is more efficient and a lot lighter too. Cost wise, I would bet the compressor is cheaper than a replacement OEM style. The cost is going to be in new brackets and you'll have to change to R134a refrigerant.

By changing refrigerant, you may want to think about new hoses and maybe a more efficient cross flow condenser. Not that you have to... just something to think about.

I got my stuff from Bouchillon Performance. Give them a call for advice and pricing.

Back