A Formal on a Ford lot

1,000.00 dollars if the A/C is cold.
13.jpg

Most forget that they are dealing with pro's who have invented the game and have heard it all.
I haven't seen a"pro" at any dealerships I've visited, which isn't many. I usually see a guy who hustles to sell, getting stiffed by the dealership.

I'd never buy an old car from a dealership, it's all free money to them, imo.

My technique is to follow Grahams advice, and have them go lower than the employee price, or whatever it was he told me to go by. But I won't be doing that again unless I win the lottery. Then it's Hellcats for everyone!

View attachment 442451ValuesReferenceProfilesExoticsOrder MENU
1978 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 440-195hp (8cyl-4V) AT
#4 #3#2#1
Brougham 2dr Htp 3150 6200 9300 14700
Brougham 4dr Htp 2675 5350 8200 12000
Add:
400-190hp (8cyl-4V) NC
Sunroof-pwr 10%
Salon pkg 5%
I get a kick out of all the "expert" vehicle negotiators here. Most that I read would get booted off the lot with their techniques. Most forget that they are dealing with pro's who have invented the game and have heard it all.

With the values quoted from that website, then that doesn't make the approx 38K mile pristine examples I found for $11900 range seem so bad. Thanks.

By observation, most of "the pros" in the used car game are now 6' underground. It's all about numbers and "managers" approve rather than make the deals in the larger stores. The days of the salesperson themselves approving deals went away in the 1990s or so, earlier in the large metro stores. Most "appraisers" just look at cosmetics and listen for noises, bid low, and wait for the used car techs to look at what doesn't automatically go to the auctions (mileage-based, usually). A "real car person" in that game is a pretty rare item these days, from what I've seen. Everybody's just doing a job and wanting to maximize their pocket money.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I found NADA to be a poor barometer of collector/vintage car values. This site is usually closer to the mark.
Better, but it doesn't allow me to get a value that reflects the condition of the car. I see how people can start with a higher price than we might think a certain car is worth. All I need is a #5 condition value, then I'd be set.

That's it I want to go and nit-pick the dented door, dried out vinyl roof, and see if the wipers work. Maybe I'll shoot them a low ball offer because I can walk. They'll have my information, they can come to me when she don't sell. Right? :poke:
Call me crazy, but I'm going to message the dealership and see if I can get a vibe off that first. After all it is a 75 mile drive one way. I really want to see if they are truly "a dealer for the people" to quote the owner in his ridiculous TV ads.

Last edited:
With a rust hole in the trunk floor and a badly weathered vinyl top that shows water damage to the headliner, this is probably going to inspect out as a #4 car. $2.2-$2.5k assuming the underside is solid, parts car if the frame is rusted out. Leather is mostly intact but also shows wear consistent with about a 100k car.

Dave

the Grill tells me it’s NOT a 78.. unless coupes had different grills then the hard tops. Anyone??

Last edited:
Well, now that you got me looking more closely...the grille and the lack of bumper guards on the ends on the front bumper make me think 1976.

And no, the grilles were the same across the line.

If your dealers are like around here, they will want that off their lot PRONTO. I'm sure they have zero dollars into it so anything they get is bonus. This will be sold "as-is" get it out of here kind of thing. $750-$1,500 tops.

It's pretty funny how many cars have come up for sale that were from the heitman auction last June. But im not a flipper I guess, when I buy car it's mine for a decade before I think about selling it.

I think somebody got auction fever on that one. It may have been the lot owner. He may be starting so high hoping to.not go lower than what he paid.

I say take 1500 cash and be ready to drive it away.
Go early when its cold and nobody is there shopping. Maybe it won't start right up. Check the opposite trunk drop and see if you can accidentally poke you finger through it.

Glad soimeone mentioned it's not a '78. If it is, I'd likje to know what happened to the correct grill! $2500. a very generous offer!

It's about time for me to update you all. I just hope she found a good home.
I don't understand how this dealership sells cars. It took almost a full week for anyone to get back to me. And no one could answer my questions they just wanted me to come in. Now here's the kicker after driving 80 miles I was informed that it was sold. Why didn't the sales manager I had the appointment with let me know.
But I did get a chance to see it. Would of liked the confirm the year. Cleaned up nice. I couldn't tell if a huge chunk of chrome flaked off or if there was a hole in the bumper that wasn't there before.

It's about time for me to update you all. I just hope she found a good home.
I don't understand how this dealership sells cars. It took almost a full week for anyone to get back to me. And no one could answer my questions they just wanted me to come in. Now here's the kicker after driving 80 miles I was informed that it was sold. Why didn't the sales manager I had the appointment with let me know.
But I did get a chance to see it. Would of liked the confirm the year. Cleaned up nice. I couldn't tell if a huge chunk of chrome flaked off or if there was a hole in the bumper that wasn't there before.
And you didn’t give that A whole a piece of your mind!!. I’d been three kinds of pissed if I had driven that far and had an appointment and after arriving they tell me it’s sold. :mad:

That's why they invented punching people in the face.
I have been on so many multi hour dead end car deals I can't even count them.

But on a funnier note, years ago, a friend was battling with a salesman on a two car trade in, on a two car deal. And his wife had already taken her brand new car home and it was going sideways on the to be his used truck. He knew his wife was keeping hers he knew that for sure...

Anyway above the guys desk was a framed sign that read " You will not leave here unsatisfied."

He informed them that was in fact leaving, and was very unsatisfied. Therefore he was taking that sign off the wall and leaving with it!

He yanked it off the wall and was going out the front door with it when they finally got them stopped!

I said Then what happened!?

Well they fixed the deal and put that sign back on the wall.
He then said he was very satisfied.

Last edited:
Back