,, a good deed for a good family

Primo

Reaction score
First I like to start off by saying I'm glad to be part of this forum as it's the first one I've ever been on in my life. I'm here to learn and to ask for guidance in a project that I am taking on. This husband and wife have gone through so much and has the sun that's not doing too well unfortunately. So the husband and wife have found me on Facebook and I have been a mechanic for the past 14 years and I'm still continuing to learn. Now I have in my possession a 1966 Plymouth Fury Sport convertible they are wanting to do a drum to disc brake conversion and before I even get started thought it would be best to find a forum like this and get some help on a parts list on anything that I should look out for prior to even starting it just so I can ensure that this job gets done correctly and within a reasonable amount of time and throughout this project other issues that I may run into on the car itself I plan to bring those issues to the table and see if I can get your opinions.

Welcome @Primo. There are a number of members who own slab-side C-bodies like "your" 1966 Fury. @fury fan @LocuMob come to mind. There are a number of threads about changing from drum-to-disc and about related brake improvements, you may want use the search to see what's already been written. @CBODY67

I most definitely will take advantage of those and look forward to really ripping into this I am actually doing it for their son they're doing it for him and apparently he's not doing too well so they just I guess they're doing it probably to take their mind off things they are pretty excited I fired it up yesterday she sounds great needs a minor tune-up oil change maintenance things

What's the back-story on the family and the son?
What's teh timeframe and budget?

Welcome from Virginia!
Sounds like you have a heart to help and a dedication to quality! Excellent

First I like to start off by saying I'm glad to be part of this forum as it's the first one I've ever been on in my life. I'm here to learn and to ask for guidance in a project that I am taking on. This husband and wife have gone through so much and has the sun that's not doing too well unfortunately. So the husband and wife have found me on Facebook and I have been a mechanic for the past 14 years and I'm still continuing to learn. Now I have in my possession a 1966 Plymouth Fury Sport convertible they are wanting to do a drum to disc brake conversion and before I even get started thought it would be best to find a forum like this and get some help on a parts list on anything that I should look out for prior to even starting it just so I can ensure that this job gets done correctly and within a reasonable amount of time and throughout this project other issues that I may run into on the car itself I plan to bring those issues to the table and see if I can get your opinions.

We applaud you for taking on this project to help these people out. However, it is a rather daunting effort to find the parts to do it correctly (dual-diaphragm brake booster, 69-73 rotors, calipers / brackets, '68 C-body disc brake master cylinder & lines, etc.

If I was you, I would rebuild the existing drum brake system with good NOS parts. The drum brakes on these cars are very good (if they are set up correctly with decent parts).

I recently rebuilt my drum brake system in the above manner on my '66 300 convertible, and the brakes are terrific. Check with Craig at @mobileparts for the NOS parts.

Thanks again for helping these people.

I agree with @Ripinator that you should rebuild the factory brakes. A factory disc setup can be hard to find in one stop shopping, and often times has to be pieced together.

Dr diff has kits, but not all of them are adequate for our bigger cars. And they use different brands parts. Keeping it factory helps when replacement parts are needed, no need to remember to get Ford pads, or GM rotors.

Most of my cars have drums, and I've driven them in heavy traffic with no issues. Semi trucks use drum brakes, so if they can stop 80,000 lbs relatively quick, a 4,200 lbs car should be alright with them as well.

If the family still wants disc brakes, let them know it may be a bit of time before all the pieces are collected for a disc swap. A setup from a '73 is preferred, but any 69-73 system can be used. The 66-68 setup uses the Budd 4 piston calipers, which are even harder to find parts for, although I think they do make some parts now that had been unobtainium for years.

Glad to hear the family wants to use the car, and be safe, it's what all of us want too, a safe driving vehicle to enjoy. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
We applaud you for taking on this project to help these people out. However, it is a rather daunting effort to find the parts to do it correctly (dual-diaphragm brake booster, 69-73 rotors, calipers / brackets, '68 C-body disc brake master cylinder & lines, etc.

If I was you, I would rebuild the existing drum brake system with good NOS parts. The drum brakes on these cars are very good (if they are set up correctly with decent parts).

I recently rebuilt my drum brake system in the above manner on my '66 300 convertible, and the brakes are terrific. Check with Craig at @mobileparts for the NOS parts.

I want to thank you for your response it really will help me out the reason I have not been posting is because I was sick with covid and I basically just shut down and I haven't even been to see the car now that I'm doing better I'm reading everything that people have sent me and getting back to people as quickly as I can and I just wanted to say thank you for your response and I'll be posting up to date pictures and progress as soon as I get to that car I had to stay away from the family because I was sick with covid so now I'm better and going to get back on track

I want to thank you for your response it really will help me out the reason I have not been posting is because I was sick with covid and I basically just shut down and I haven't even been to see the car now that I'm doing better I'm reading everything that people have sent me and getting back to people as quickly as I can and I just wanted to say thank you for your response and I'll be posting up to date pictures and progress as soon as I get to that car I had to stay away from the family because I was sick with covid so now I'm better and
Those comments from @Ripinator and @LocuMob are why I asked about the family and the situation.
If there is a time crunch, drums are sufficient.
I just want to say thank you for your responses and taking time to think about my project and give me some pointers unfortunately I've been sick with covid now that I'm feeling a lot better I can go around the family now and be taking some up-to-date pictures and we'll be posting current progress as I take on this project. So once again thank you for your response and I will stay in touch thank you

Man, to find some old Kelsey Hayes dual piston caliper setup...

Drums are ok, disks are better in many situations, not all.

Properly working drum brakes should stop fairly evenly, preferably not sending the car into skids. Disk brakes have their hangups also, problems, caliper issues, pad dust all over the wheels, squeaks, warped rotors leading to shuddering.

Brakes was the 1st class in my 2 year Automotive program. Brakes and Front End.

Then didn't want to give you anything too exciting at first, like Tune Up and carburetor rebuilding, this was 1988. Probably the only guy in school driving an old Mopar.

1966 Monaco 9 passenger wagon with like three gas tanks.

They were all Mopar haters actually.

Some fk from school came by real early one morning and let the air out of all 4 of my tires, took the valve cores, and I still made it to class on time.

Jealousy.

I'm still continuing to learn

Learning.

Probably the one thing that really makes life worth it.

I want to thank you for your response it really will help me out the reason I have not been posting is because I was sick with covid and I basically just shut down and I haven't even been to see the car now that I'm doing better I'm reading everything that people have sent me and getting back to people as quickly as I can and I just wanted to say thank you for your response and I'll be posting up to date pictures and progress as soon as I get to that car I had to stay away from the family because I was sick with covid so now I'm better and

I just want to say thank you for your responses and taking time to think about my project and give me some pointers unfortunately I've been sick with covid now that I'm feeling a lot better I can go around the family now and be taking some up-to-date pictures and we'll be posting current progress as I take on this project. So once again thank you for your response and I will stay in touch thank you
Glad you're better and look forward to your progress!
I had covid in July. Covid sucks, including all the restriction that come into the picture on going to work, wearing a mask, etc.

Back