A Newlife for the Newport

Got the new gas tank installed. It fits perfectly. Also put a Mopar orange box electronic ignition kit in as well as a replacement reproduction heater shutoff valve. The engine runs smooth and the heat works great now.

20191126_113653.jpg

20191126_113736.jpg

20191126_113747.jpg

The new gas tank just came in. It's a Spectra Premium CR20B. Looks to be an identical match to the original tank. Also ordered a replacement sending unit, filler neck gasket, and tank straps to go along with the install.

I decided to replace the tank for piece of mind after I began cleaning the original tank and small pinholes started opening up where the metal was pitted. I considered soldering the few pin holes but I did not want to risk having other thin spots end up popping into more pin holes especially after having the tank full of gas.

View attachment 330801

Hey, really nice ride, looks great. Where did you find the sending unit? Need one for my new tank as well. Let me know, thanks.

New Hankook Optimo white wall tires installed! The ride is so much better than with the 35 year old bias ply.

20191127_123418.jpg

20191127_123424.jpg

Last edited:
Spotted this guy on my way home from the tire shop. Followed it a while and realized he lived in the same town. Original owner. Bought it new at 18 years years old and kept it ever since. Only 275,000 original miles. Wow.

20191127_124203.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool. Blue sticky stuff removes easily with a sponge and detergent

A lot of great updates. Love the Hankooks, too!

Also put (...) a replacement reproduction heater shutoff valve. (...) the heat works great now.

Can you provide the link to where you bought the repro heater control valve? It'll be great to learn of your experience with how well it modulates the heat, too. Thanks!

@kingbowl93 just to confirm. With detergent I mean that soap you wash your dishes with. I'm not sure if my translation app got the correct word. Dishwashing detergent is a fantastic tool as it doesn't contain anything that would cause scratches. So the white ring will shine perfectly white afterwards.
I also use it to clean my car. I use a bucket with water and dishwashing detergent and a spongetowel. Works better than any expensive car polishing spray or whatever without leaving any spotting or so

Screenshot_20191128-011116.png

@kingbowl93 just to confirm. With detergent I mean that soap you wash your dishes with. I'm not sure if my translation app got the correct word. Dishwashing detergent is a fantastic tool as it doesn't contain anything that would cause scratches. So the white ring will shine perfectly white afterwards.
I also use it to clean my car. I use a bucket with water and dishwashing detergent and a spongetowel. Works better than any expensive car polishing spray or whatever without leaving any spotting or so

View attachment 333261

Thanks, I will definitely try that tip. I like that it is non abrasive! Will post an update picture after I have the blue goo off.

I bought it from this eBay seller below. It seems to modulate the heat on and off when selected very well so far.

New Heater Valve, Mopar 2936490 1969 1970 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler C Body w/ A/C | eBay

thanks on the link for the sending unit, just bought one for my new tank :)

Could you give some more info on the heater valve, what purpose does it serve? My Newport doesn't seem to have a stock one...

Where can i also get hold of one of those electronic orange mopar boxes?

The tires look great, but i'm going for raised white lettered on mine... :)

thanks on the link for the sending unit, just bought one for my new tank :)

Could you give some more info on the heater valve, what purpose does it serve? My Newport doesn't seem to have a stock one...

Where can i also get hold of one of those electronic orange mopar boxes?

The tires look great, but i'm going for raised white lettered on mine... :)

If you look at the engine bay pictures in the beginning of this thread, you will see the valve that I had was different looking compared to the new one I installed. I believe you may have the same valve as that one I had. (assuming you have AC). From what I understand , those were after market replacements from years ago. The originals should look like the new valve I just bought. The purpose of it is to control coolant flow to the heater core. Vacuum will open the valve when the heat is turned on and hot coolant will flow through the heater core to warm the cabin and the opposite for when you have the AC on.

The Mopar orange box ignition kits were made available to "retro fit" any Chrysler 1972 and older since they still had points/breaker ignition. 1973 and newer Chryslers came with this "kit" from the factory. The kit comes with an electronic distributor as well as the orange "computer box" seen on the firewall. With electronic ignition installed on 2 of my Newports I have noticed smoother idling, easier start ups, and ever so slightly better fuel consumption.

Proform Mopar Big Block B 361 383 400 Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit 440-427 | eBay

Last edited:
Gents: I went through the same issues earlier this year. That thread has lots of good info.

If I understand correctly, since then a correct-looking but longer-lasting HCV made of a different material (not Bakelite) has been introduced. I have not seen any reviews of the latter but @saforwardlook and @71Polara383 may offer some insights.

Gents: I went through the same issues earlier this year. That thread has lots of good info.

If I understand correctly, since then a correct-looking but longer-lasting HCV made of a different material (not Bakelite) has been introduced. I have not seen any reviews of the latter but @saforwardlook and @71Polara383 may offer some insights.

This new reproduction heater control valve that looks factory correct is something I have not seen before. Sometimes vendors on ebay call NOS parts "new" when in fact that are 50 years old, but this listing says it is an aftermarket new one made by Ranco.

I am still skeptical, but then the listing does say more than 10 available, and it is unlikely that anyone has more than 10 nos ones available - not even me!

I wrote the ebay seller a note that tries to confirm that these are really recently remanufactured by Ranco and I also asked whether he knew whether the material used for both the black housing and the material used for the reddish outlet nipples are any better than the original ones. He may not know, but if that is the reply back, I will try to contact Ranco myself in the near future.

Last edited:
This new reproduction heater control valve that looks factory correct is something I have not seen before. Sometimes vendors on ebay call NOS parts "new" when in fact that are 50 years old, but this listing says it is an aftermarket new one made by Ranco.

I am still skeptical, but then the listing does say more than 10 available, and it is unlikely that anyone has more than 10 nos ones available - not even me!

I wrote the ebay seller a note that tries to confirm that these are really recently remanufactured by Ranco and I also asked whether he knew whether the material used for both the black housing and the material used for the reddish outlet nipples are any better than the original ones. He may not know, but if that is the reply back, I will try to contact Ranco myself in the near future.

Thanks for bringing up this point. I hope these truly are new reproductions made of the better material. Lets see what they reply.

Back