A38 package 74 Chrysler Newport.

74Monaco CHP

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever come across one? This wasn't a widely advertised option (Police Package) for the Chrysler but they were used by some agencies. Months ago I saw a real low optioned 74 Newport for sale but was unable to determine if it had the package.

I suspect most had all the heavy duty items.

police optioned Chrysler Newport

Years ago I aquired a 1973 Newport with a HP 440 and other HD stuff. It had HiPo exhaust manifolds, HD cooling package. On the bottom of the build sheet was printed "State of Missouri", it was also special ordered. I parted it out and still have the 440 and transmission. It also had a steel crank in it yet. I don't think it had A38 on the build sheet though.

I've seen Fire Chief 74-78 Newports (man, fire engine red is badazz on those cars) but if they had the package is anyone's guess. There was one for sale from Maine and he insisted the Fire Chief's car was a cop car but it didn't have a Certified Speedo so .... Who the hell knows...

New Yorker 2.jpgMine is a A38 package car with a 440 4 BBL.

New Yorker 2.jpg

New Yorker.jpgIt does now. Looks to be duals with a turbo type mufflers on it now. That is how it was when I got it. I don't know what exhaust it would of had from the Factory.

New Yorker.jpg

It should have had the dual non-cat exhaust, at least if you go by the books.
I can tell by the hangers if it did or not but don't crawl under the car on my account....

My parts catalog (78 Chrysler) has a police/taxi tab but not a single page in it.

I'll have to look in the exhaust section of my catalog and see if it shows any exhaust variants there.

It's actually kind of a moot point, Bob.
I have searched for years for this NOS exhaust system.
The best I could come up with was the left muffler.
They ain't out there.

(I did acquire the six NOS hangers though)

Last edited:
Back