Abandoned for 40 years: 1968 New Yorker 2 DR

Nice work, Isaiah! Who cares about the black engine compartment. It didn't roll of the assembly line with a sweet metallic red/silver paint job either. It's your car dude! I think we're all as anxious as you to hear this thing run.

I turned 19 about 3 weeks after I bought my car in early January of 2020. I didn’t do much to the car while I was 19. First, I began to remove the interior. The dash was terrible!

View attachment 460637
View attachment 460638

After sitting in the desert for 40 years, the interior became very brittle. Seat foam was hard and crumbly! If you sat on the seat, it would just turn to dust. Not only that, but this car became a rats nest. INFESTED with mice from top to bottom. The amount of urine and other feces they left was disgusting. Because the car was left with windows closed, it was like a greenhouse effect of rat piss evaporating and tarnishing any of the stainless / aluminum finish in the car. My floors rotted out as well! I tore out what was left of the carpet. It was pretty bad

View attachment 460639

View attachment 460641

i found that my floors were rotted pretty bad! Especially after I removed the rear seats

View attachment 460643

View attachment 460645

View attachment 460644

All in all... you could say my interior was pretty trashed (still is as I type this )

View attachment 460642
No joke man, this story inspires me and makes me think I'm not the only one taking on a big project! I'm glad I found this page. Keep up your drive for the car man.

Are you planning on making her into a low rider? That's what I am going to do with mine. And can't wait to see the progression of these cars!

Back