AC hoses

SuperDave

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have an issue. I'm rebuilding (& upgrading) a 73 Newport. Previous owner got rid of the AC (probably because it didn't work) but left the compressor intact, as the way it's laid out, the alternator needs the compressor pulley. I did manage to find a side bracket to relocate the alternator but now it seems that may have been premature, as I may need to buy another alternator made specifically for non AC cars. Living in sunny Florida, AC ain't a bad idea. And since I'll be moving to Texas soon, it seems doubly so.

So far I've located a rebuilt original style V2 compressor, dryer and expansion valve, but no hoses, aside from a handful of DIY 'kits'. My issue is will the fittings work right for a classic style compressor? I'd rather have the assurance of buying the right part the 1st time. It would be preferable to buy the hoses premade and no guesswork involved, just bolt on and go.

So my question to y'all is: Where did you source your hoses from? Are there premade hose assemblies that will bolt onto a C Body Fusilage car, no questions asked? Is there anything specific I need to look for or ask of the vendor selling a DIY kit?

You might also want to consider converting to a modern Sanden style compressor. There are several threads on this site about making that conversion. The RV-2 compressor has a high failure rate if you are planning to convert from R-12 to R-134a. RV-2 compressors worked well with R-12 but have oiling problems that lead to repeated compressor failures when running R-134a. If the system was left open with the hoses disconnected, there is probably jellied and contaminated oil in the evaporator and condenser. That will need to be flushed out and the units pressure tested before any reactivation of the A/C system, regardless of which refrigerant you intend to use.

Dave

With no hoses, it would be an opportune time to upgrade to the Sanden compressor. Which should simplify the hose situation. There should be several threads in here on that upgrade.

Are all that's been removed from the factory a/c system just under the hood? Or does the removal of components carry into the under-dash area?

Compared to our '66 Newport with factory a/c, the system on our '72 Newport Royal 4-dr sedan was weak by comparison. And the case leaked (due to a poor gasket and case half retention system, IMHO). So I can somewhat understand the PO's frustration with the whole deal. There were also some quirks in the '72 (and probably the '73 too) in how things operated, which were well-meaning but not well understood by some . . . especially if the system didn't perform up to par, for the PO.

With R-134a, it probably would be best to get a compatible condenser, the biggest one you can fit in there. Plus the new receiver/drier you'll need anyway. Might use the low charge sensor fitting on the drier for the compressor cycling switch?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Ok guys, I have an issue. I'm rebuilding (& upgrading) a 73 Newport. Previous owner got rid of the AC (probably because it didn't work) but left the compressor intact, as the way it's laid out, the alternator needs the compressor pulley. I did manage to find a side bracket to relocate the alternator but now it seems that may have been premature, as I may need to buy another alternator made specifically for non AC cars. Living in sunny Florida, AC ain't a bad idea. And since I'll be moving to Texas soon, it seems doubly so.

So far I've located a rebuilt original style V2 compressor, dryer and expansion valve, but no hoses, aside from a handful of DIY 'kits'. My issue is will the fittings work right for a classic style compressor? I'd rather have the assurance of buying the right part the 1st time. It would be preferable to buy the hoses premade and no guesswork involved, just bolt on and go.

So my question to y'all is: Where did you source your hoses from? Are there premade hose assemblies that will bolt onto a C Body Fusilage car, no questions asked? Is there anything specific I need to look for or ask of the vendor selling a DIY kit?
I have hoses from a 68 Polara & a 72 Monaco if you want to stay with factory. I have a compressor with big block brackets too. PM me if interested in any of this stuff

Making your own hoses is surprisingly easy, all the components are available from Cold Hose and other vendors and you can easily purchase a hydraulic crimping tool on Ebay. Here is my system after completion, it would help if you still have or can get some of the factory hardlines.
Cold Hose - AC Hoses, Hose Kits and Fittings

DSCF6218.JPG

DSCF6219.JPG

DSCF6220.JPG

DSCF5496.JPG

DSCF6309.JPG

DSCF6312.JPG

DSCF6313.JPG

DSCF6314.JPG

Thanks for that link! LOTS of needed things in that website! Your installation/conversion looks great, too!

CBODY67

if you're in florida classic auto air in tampa is a good resource too...they custom made some hard lines for me for the oil cooler on my motorhome (part of a/c condensor so used a/c style fittings)...did them from drawings on graph paper and they were perfect ...they supposedly have lots of nos stuff too...they also have a place in coppel texas but i think the stock style stuff is made in florida...theres also threads on here about problems with some of the rebuilt rv2 compressors so do some research...i'm stupid and want my engine to look stock so i'm going with an rv2 and r12 but a new sanden setup would work a lot better...beware there are also chinese sanden clones out there that suck ...edit...just realized classic air tampa is calling themselves original air group...so i just recommended the same people to you as post #2

Last edited:
Back