AC install begins...underhood

While I haven't tried one yet, and there may be other suppliers less expensive, Classic Industries claims to have a reproduction now that matches the OEM water neck including the original casting numbers. Part number MP6500. Priced at $44.99 so it is somewhat expensive.

I personally would prefer something even more robust than the Classic Industries offering (I didn't think much of the original Chrysler ones as they didn't hold up all that well either) but most of the other stuff available for mopar water neck applications out on the market currently is just junk - don't over tighten the bolts with those or they will warp - and it doesn't take much. Thin aluminum crap.

Maybe the "billet aluminum" ones at Summit are a good one as referenced above, and an even more expensive more robust looking one is available from them as well:

Billet Specialties Thermostat Housings 90820

But the seller's feedback isn't stellar either.................

But the best one of all might likely be this one on Ebay, although I do wish they had a non-chrome one available, and you can't beat the price:

SB BB Mopar Chrome Water Neck Thermostat 318 340 383 440 Housing Gasket Bolts | eBay

For a whopping $14.95 with "fast and free" delivery, it seems like the logical choice at present.....................and I like that it is claimed to be made of "high quality steel", not aluminum:

View attachment 282924

MOPAR CHROME WATER NECK

FITS ALL MOPAR V8

• CHROME STEEL BRAND NEW SMALL BLOCK / BIG BLOCK MOPAR (CHRYSLER, DODGE, PLYMOUTH) WATER NECK
  • FITS MOPAR 273 318 340 360 361 383 400 413 426W 440 ENGINES
  • COMES COMPLETE AS PICTURED WITH CHROME STEEL THERMOSTAT HOUSING, CHROME BOLTS AND GASKET FOR A PERFECT SEAL
  • MADE FROM EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY STEEL, BLACK FINISH IS EXTREMELY NICE
  • THIS WATER NECK FITS ALL SBM & BBM ENGINES
  • THANKS!

FYI...
If you do or did buy a chrome T-Stat housing be sure to file off all the chrome from the bottom and sand it flat or it will leak...

Many of the chromed metal t/stat housings did leak over time. As if the chroming process made the base plate warp or something? I'd be willing to bet that a small block Chevy item might work too, if the hose diameter is the same. Check your local "speed shop" parts selection.

CBODY67

OK, pulleys installed, brackets all installed, compressor and drier installed. Mocked up hoses, think this may be the final routing. Playing around with some 45 and 90 degree fittings on the drier, I removed my heater system completely, so I was able to run the AC lines thru the old heater holes on firewall. In pic the fittings look crooked, they are. Fittings not tightened all the way down, still playing around with fittings. Ended up with a 58" on AC pulleys, and 46" for PS.

If you look close...you will see a metal fuel line has been added!

Also reused the heater hose holder thing on top of alternator. Keeps hoses from rubbing on sparkplug wires.

Still have to do wiring, that's easy. Then crimp hoses. I didn't see a fitting for me to add the safety switch, so have to buy that fitting.

Started her up...nothing flew off!! Nothing rubbing, pulleys seem pretty much inline and straight.

The negative battery cable is only temp routed, not its final resting place lol. I keep disconnecting/reconnecting when messing around under hood.
20190524_163116.jpg

20190524_163151.jpg

20190524_163158.jpg

20190524_163212.jpg

20190524_163239.jpg

20190524_163319.jpg

20190524_163334.jpg

20190524_163558.jpg

Last edited:
Something to add...didn't have to cut any holes in metal. Where the dryer is, there was a hole that was perfect, and maybe was originally for AC cars? The lower hose on condenser runs thru a hole that has a 'rolled' edge, so it's not sharp. Worked out perfect.

Last edited:
Looking good, you are making better progress than I am!

Thanks!

I lied, I said I didn't have to drill any holes. I forgot I had to drill two 1/4" holes for the drier bracket next to radiator.

Need to buy MasterCool crimping tool for hoses. Shopping best price.

Headed out now to work on running powerlines and speaker lines for audio system. Hope to get that done today.

Thanks!

Need to buy MasterCool crimping tool for hoses. Shopping best price.
I bought the hydraulic crimping tool. I found it on Ebay for $116.00 but if you buy the ones with Mastercool or Vintage Air brand name they range from $200 to $400! Same part number...

Back