accelerator pump linkage help

67newport

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
can some body tell me if my accelerator pump linkage is correct. i have always had a dead spot issue starting out from a dead stop and yesterday it left dead on the road. had to have friend pull me home luckily i was less then a half mile from home. with the linkage the way in the picture it is not spraying any gas out but just a trickle. should my linkage be in the upper hole in the last pic?

1693272500978.jpeg

1693272827874.jpeg

1693272891642.jpeg

1693272928632.jpeg

A carb rebuild kit instruction sheet will tell you where to put the rob on the upper paw.
The FSM will as well.

On that Stromberg WWC carb, the linkage is just fine as it is. No pump shot is more related to the accel pump action than where the linkage is set-up.

On our '66 Newport with the same carb, I tried the linkage in the outer and inner slots. All that really gets varies is the total amount of pump shot and possibly the accuracy of it, but NOT the pump working itself. I could tell no difference in how the car responded to accelerator input.

Get a quality rebuild kit. Also check the flatness of the air horn at the back, where the power piston sticks out of it, too. Only tighten the air cleaner wing nut "snug", not "torqued-down tight".

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? Similar with the points and base timing?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back