Adding mineral oil to RV2 sump

darth_linux

Reaction score
Is this where you add the mineral oil to the RV2 to sump?

If so, how much? The FSM says fill to 2 5/8”, but where do you measure that at?

IMG_2522.jpeg

What is the suspicion that the oil is low or needs checking?

Of course, the system will need to be evacuated of freon?

CBODY67

The FSM will show you in detail how to make a dipstick.
1688681542725.jpeg

I have only seen the filler plug on the passenger side of the compressor, so I'm not sure what you stuck your borescope into.

1688681787673.png

The FSM ('73 at least) details how to make and mark a dipstick for checking the sump. If I recall, I also had to make a tiny funnel.

If your RV2 has been inactive for a long time and with no oil, it probably needs to be rebuilt. They're sensitive.

The FSM will show you in detail how to make a dipstick.
View attachment 605269

I have only seen the filler plug on the passenger side of the compressor, so I'm not sure what you stuck your borescope into.

View attachment 605271
You can see the fill plug that I’m pointing to in the photo. I’m working on a 1966; perhaps the design was different in 73. My FSM didn’t show anything about how to make a dipstick. Thanks for the insights.

The FSM ('73 at least) details how to make and mark a dipstick for checking the sump. If I recall, I also had to make a tiny funnel.

If your RV2 has been inactive for a long time and with no oil, it probably needs to be rebuilt. They're sensitive.
That was my intuition. I don’t know how long it’s been since it actually functioned. There’s been multiple owners of this vehicle in the last five years. I don’t know if I’m gonna keep this AC and get it working, or switch it out to a Sanden style, or just delete it all together and put in different pulleys. Until I make that decision, I’d like to get some oil in the crank case sump so I don’t destroy it any more than already is..

If that is indeed your fill plug (someone chime in here!!), then the home made dipstick might not be accurate. If it was me and that crankcase was empty, I'd put 7 oz wax free mineral oil in there and call it a day. FSM talks about 6 if this, 8 if that. 7 works.

If that is indeed your fill plug (someone chime in here!!), then the home made dipstick might not be accurate. If it was me and that crankcase was empty, I'd put 7 oz wax free mineral oil in there and call it a day. FSM talks about 6 if this, 8 if that. 7 works.
That’s exactly what I will do. Thank you very much!

The fill plug on my '68 is on the passenger side of the compressor, just like the FSM illustration a few posts earlier shows.

the fill plug is on the r/s of all the RV2's but the early ones with the V shaped sump have that additional plug on the sump itself...considering how the compressor is rolled over to the right on big blocks that sump plug MIGHT be the same level that the r/s plug would be if the compressor was mounted level...i swear my 68 manual tells you how to make the dipstick but then says to check the oil with the compressor level which it obviously isnt when bolted to the engine...i gotta re-read that section to try to make sense of it
Edit...just re-read it...2 inch to 2 3/8 small block or level on bench....2 7/8 to 3 1/2 on a big block...so it is taking account of it being laid over... thats with a straight dipstick 5 inches to the top of the filler hole...the pic that Trace 300 shows is the stick and levels for the 73 flat bottom sump that isnt laid over to the right...and for all i know my 68 levels are wrong for a 66 if the bracket is laid over even more...but yeah the compressor should have between 6 and 8 ounces in it

Last edited:
i swear my 68 manual tells you how to make the dipstick but then says to check the oil with the compressor level which it obviously isnt when bolted to the engine...i gotta re-read that section to try to make sense of it

I believe the assumption is that the compressor is on the bench after a rebuild, not on the car, thus requiring 6 oz of oil in a previously working system. And THAT assumes the system didn't have a major blowout and spew oil all over the place, and the mechanic would probably know this. In that case, we can assume that some oil is still in the components, so I would use 7 oz.

the fill plug is on the r/s of all the RV2's but the early ones with the V shaped sump have that additional plug on the sump itself...considering how the compressor is rolled over to the right on big blocks that sump plug MIGHT be the same level that the r/s plug would be if the compressor was mounted level...i swear my 68 manual tells you how to make the dipstick but then says to check the oil with the compressor level which it obviously isnt when bolted to the engine...i gotta re-read that section to try to make sense of it
The compressor on 66 and prior is canted much more towards the passenger side than 67 and later and plug on the p/s is nearly horizontal while the extra plug on the d/s is almost vertical. I might just add 7 oz and call it good.

Back