Advice Needed: Rust on '65 Imperial

My $.02, I'd look for something that has no or very little rust. there will be pleny of other places on these cars to spend your money.

I bought this 65 300 from the widow of original owner and while i would have liked a 2 door, i had to make a comprise because of the price and condition, that, and i'm a sucker for original.
DSC07929.JPG

You need major chassis, pan, and rocker restoration. AND, if that is the observable part, the not visible areas will be bad, also.

Can YOU do it? Will you do it?
Will you pay to have it done?
No, this is not Collision Shop stuff. This is Restoration Shop stuff.
Since you needed help in determining the state the car is in, you should walk away.

You need major chassis, pan, and rocker restoration. AND, if that is the observable part, the not visible areas will be bad, also.

Can YOU do it? Will you do it?
Will you pay to have it done?
No, this is not Collision Shop stuff. This is Restoration Shop stuff.
Since you needed help in determining the state the car is in, you should walk away.
Done. Thank you.

I am not qualified in any respect to take this on myself. This would be a body shop deal. I am looking for a very solid #3 cruiser that I could just mess with. Any idea roughly what it would take just to make it strong?

It's hard to give an accurate estimate, I may have simply seen the worst.
You really need an experienced pair of eyes on this car to get an accurate opinion on whether is is worth the asking price.

You'll find one out there that will be worth the coin.

When I saw the missing nuts, I wondered if someone had started a frame off restoration, saw the extent of the rust, and bailed on the project.

Those are NOT missing nuts; the body doughnuts are threaded-that's the way they should look-AND there's a procedure for replacing body ears off the frame that is listed in the FSM, so by itself it is not a big deal. That's a rusty car AND is listed at twice what it is worth, although the paint looks nice. Look for western cars; bodies will be good but interiors will be cooked. You are safe in a shabby seat, but less-so in a rusted chassis.

66 imp drivers side.jpg
66 imp at car club.jpg

My 1966 Imperial LeBaron. A San Francisco car since new. No rust. My 25th Imperial. These things are actually overbuilt so a little rust is not a big deal, but that car had rust to the extent that I agree with the person who said for $3k go for it. You can find nicer imperials here. Here's a convertible Imperial (one of 514 made) with an ask of only $2k more than the 65 you saw. 1966 Chrysler Imperial Convertible: I HAVE NOT INSPECTED THIS CAR, but merely offer it as an example of better value.
good luck

Those are NOT missing nuts; the body doughnuts are threaded-that's the way they should look-AND there's a procedure for replacing body ears off the frame that is listed in the FSM, so by itself it is not a big deal. That's a rusty car AND is listed at twice what it is worth, although the paint looks nice. Look for western cars; bodies will be good but interiors will be cooked. You are safe in a shabby seat, but less-so in a rusted chassis.
Thank you, and I am indeed, looking out west.

I'm not an Imperial kind of guy but that convertible is really nice!

View attachment 120844 View attachment 120845

My 1966 Imperial LeBaron. A San Francisco car since new. No rust. My 25th Imperial. These things are actually overbuilt so a little rust is not a big deal, but that car had rust to the extent that I agree with the person who said for $3k go for it. You can find nicer imperials here. Here's a convertible Imperial (one of 514 made) with an ask of only $2k more than the 65 you saw. 1966 Chrysler Imperial Convertible: I HAVE NOT INSPECTED THIS CAR, but merely offer it as an example of better value.
good luck
Oh, your ride is SWEET and thanks.

I wouldn't. You got holes, blisters in the pinch welds, one of those mounts looks like it got whacked pretty hard or otherwise crushed. That car is waiting to blossom. No way I'd hand over 9 grand for a time bomb.

Hello Everyone,

I am close to pulling the trigger on a '65 Imperial Coupe. As the car is in Richmond, VA, I had an appraisal done and am relying on talks w/current owner and, of course, the appraisal. The main concern that has popped up for me is rust around the frame. Pennsylvania car. I could really use some good advice/opinions about how big an issue this could be. No lift was available, so pics are good, but not plentiful.
Thanks in advance.
**Update: I am going to pass on this one. Thanks all for the great advice. Back to the hunt.

Don't know if you've found a good one yet, but I saw this ad and thought of you. This looks like a very straight, well preserved carhttps://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/6074164010.html

Back