After-Market Valve Covers

BamaFan

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1969 Chrysler 300 with the standard 440. My driver's side valve cover gasket is leaking so I decided this would be a good enough reason to swap out the old stock covers while I'm puttin in new gaskets for a set of Edelbrocks from Summit. The problem is, they don't have wire brackets. Any recommendations, either DIY or store-bought? The engine is pretty much all orginal (including factory A/C) except for a new Edelbrock carb.

Valve Covers | AMD 335-1069-BP

Valve Cover Fastener Kit 1964-74 383/440, Valve Covers/Hardware, 110-VCF8033 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts

Engine, Valve Covers/Hardware :Mega Parts USA

Hoffman's Winners Circle Ignition Wire Brackets

IMG_0467.JPG
Right Side Cover.JPG
CMNE6267.JPG
Passenger's.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG

IMHO, aftermarket valve covers won't seal any better than stock ones. So buy them if you want the "look", but don't expect better results.... They may even leak worse.

IMHO, aftermarket valve covers won't seal any better than stock ones. So buy them if you want the "look", but don't expect better results.... They may even leak worse.

That's true, but I figure I'll give it a go. They seemed to have pretty good reviews. To quote Bobcat Goldthwaite, "This is either gonna be really cool, or it's really gonna suck." It's not a show car or my primary ride, just a fun "little" coupe to cruise around in.

Amazon product ASIN B017LL4UCE
clean machine.jpg

i didn't realize that the salt potato was a local thing.

The AMD's I bought didn't have the oil cap hole clocked correctly so the tabs pointed vertically or perpendicular to the cover. They sat around for couple yrs before I got around to putting them on so I figured there was no point contacting them. That was also a couple years ago and they been out of stock at least that long anyway.

Just to add - I changed the valve covers on my 69 Chrysler 300 and I seemed to have burned them up. . and leaking bad!

got them from Summit - Valve Cover Gaskets at Summit Racing

Any suggestions on the proper gaskets to get????
I've always ended up with the plain old cork gaskets working the best. Nothing trick, just good Fel-Pro gaskets.

IMHO, the heat from the exhaust manifolds bake out the gaskets and it is something that may have to be changed every 5 years or so, depending on use. Kind of a "nature of the beast". YMMV.

I've always ended up with the plain old cork gaskets working the best. Nothing trick, just good Fel-Pro gaskets.

IMHO, the heat from the exhaust manifolds bake out the gaskets and it is something that may have to be changed every 5 years or so, depending on use. Kind of a "nature of the beast". YMMV.

I never had any trouble w Fel-pro valve cover gaskets. Just torque them to spec, as per instructions. I'm looking for a good deal on an old 1/4" drive inch-lb ratchet now. The Harbor-Freight one I got 7 yrs ago isn't entirely trustworthy on low torques, which is exactly where I need it to be.

This is great feedback - I will switch over to the tel-pro cork - just hope I can get a fit as even when I went slow on the last gasket, it still leaked. .

This is great feedback - I will switch over to the tel-pro cork - just hope I can get a fit as even when I went slow on the last gasket, it still leaked. .
Bro, Fel-Pro specializes in making gaskets for amateurs like ourselves! If their gaskets don't fit those valve covers, then you should scrap the valve covers. This matter of "non-fitting gaskets" suggests to me NON-FITTING VALVE COVERS! Such very likely will ALWAYS LEAK on any stock Mopar cylinder head.

Just as an added comfort, anyone use the . . . .Permatex high tack spray a gasket sealant? On cork or rubber?

Back