Better/thicker 318 valve cover gasket - where to buy

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I've noticed that the Fel pro cork gaskets I used on my valve covers do not seem to be thick enough. I'm not sure if there is a slight bow in the valve covers, but once the three bolts are tightened down I can still move the lower edge in the center of the valve cover gasket back and forth. This is causing some oil to slowly splash and leak onto the exhaust manifolds. The cork gaskets also do not allow me to use the ears to bend over the prongs on the valve covers to hold them in place.

Does anyone know where they sell a rubber gasket? Or what are people's thoughts about stacking a second cork gasket on for a better seal?

I have tightened the valve cover bolts down all the way and still it is lose.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is this for 318 polysphere "A" block (up to 1966) or the 318 LA small block after 1966?

If this is for an LA block, I was looking for exactly the same thing a few months ago, specifically looking for a gasket with a steel core. I had done some work on my '01 Ram a couple years ago (318 magnum engine) and it had steel core gaskets from the factory, which I also replaced with new steel core, but the magnum engine has 10 bolts to hold the cover down, not a measly 5 bolts.

Anyways, I did find that Competition Products was selling a steel-core small-block gasket for the ridiculously low amount of $17. Practically the same price as some cork gaskets.

I have put them on the car but haven't tightend them down yet as I've been cleaning up the valve covers but they do fit. But a word of warning. THEY SMELL. I had them in a small storage room for a month or two and I thought I had mice in the room or a cat peed in the room because over time the smell grew stronger, like mouse pee or that barnyard manure smell. They were in a cardboard box, not taped up or anything.

They seem to be made of rubber, it's not overly hard or overly soft rubber, they are thick, maybe 3/16 thick, and the steel core does make them very stiff, they hold their shape.

Why the smell, I don't know. I have a feeling I'm going to be wondering if mice got into my car every time I lift the hood now. Strange.

Good morning all,

I've noticed that the Fel pro cork gaskets I used on my valve covers do not seem to be thick enough. I'm not sure if there is a slight bow in the valve covers, but once the three bolts are tightened down I can still move the lower edge in the center of the valve cover gasket back and forth. This is causing some oil to slowly splash and leak onto the exhaust manifolds. The cork gaskets also do not allow me to use the ears to bend over the prongs on the valve covers to hold them in place.

Does anyone know where they sell a rubber gasket? Or what are people's thoughts about stacking a second cork gasket on for a better seal?

I have tightened the valve cover bolts down all the way and still it is lose.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
It sounds like your covers need to be straightened out.

This is for the 318 engine in my 1958 Plymouth, so the A block. When I remove the valve covers they don't look bent at all but will need to put a straight edge on to confirm. Maybe I will stack gaskets if I can't get it straight.

Go into Rock Auto and do their lookup for your engine. There are multiple brands of valve cover gaskets there. When in their final menu list, for particular items, click "INFO" and then look at the spec page which comes up. In the specs box is a "Thickness" dimension listed. Check what you have (Fel-Pro part number) against the specs for that item AND also other brands and such. It appears there ARE differences in thickness between brands and even some part numbers of the SAME BRAND.

That is the easiest way to diagnose your issue AND find better alternatives.

Regards,
CBODY67

Tried looking at Rock Auto. The size variance seems very small but they do sell a rubber gasket. Will need to see if my valve cover is straight or not.

Thanks,

Back