Airtemp decal location?

Waterslide decals can be reproduced. Take a hi-res picture of the existing decal, transfer to computer. Spiff it up with Photoshop or similar, to what it needs to be as to color, lines, etc. Then PRINT on your computer printer. Not sure of what ink to use, though.

In an AACA forum post, a few years ago, a man had a 1920s Pontiac with a faded speedometer that he wanted to get restored. He took the picture himself, of the existing speedometer face, then transferred the picture to his computer and Photoshopped it for color, etc. Then printed it on the waterslide decal item. Installed it on the speedometer face and it looked "as new".

Further research revealed that they could also be used for ceramic coffee cups and other glas items. But on an "exterior" surface with possible longevity issues.

When another man was giving our club a run-down on getting his speedometer restored, by a speedo restoration shop, he said they first took a very hi-res picture of the speedometer face. Then tended to follow the procedures I mentioned above. Of course, the finished product decal would have to be correctly sized for the item, when it was printed.

Using the Hi-Res photo and then Photoshop, there are many decals on cars which could be reproduced for the particular vehicle. Just need the correct media to print them on for the correct look and also durability.

When I Google searched the "waterslide decal" media, it turned out to be pretty readily available, other than eBay. Usually at art supply stores.

Surely, there's a waterslide media that is designed for "interior" mount rather than just "exterior" mount?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Surely, there's a waterslide media that is designed for "interior" mount rather than just "exterior" mount?
CBODY67

Interesting. I know the very high end restorers of very rare old cars (like what I see at Amelia every year, Benz Gullwings and such) must be doing **something** to do their magic, cuz they're not buying that stuff from Year One!

Oh....for my Airtemps, I did indeed spend 20 minutes (each) with a very good scissor to remove the excess clear tape around the actual decal. Tedious, but worth it to look proper-ish like a waterslide OEM item.

Interesting. I know the very high end restorers of very rare old cars (like what I see at Amelia every year, Benz Gullwings and such) must be doing **something** to do their magic, cuz they're not buying that stuff from Year One!

The guy that came to our club meeting and told us about his restoration efforts, had the completed speedometer with him to show us. It was immaculate. He said he asked the lady (daughter of the owner) how they did that. She showed him how they had the dedicated Hi-Res 35mm digital camera set up on a tri-pod. Then they took the picture and worked their magic to get it all done. Looked fantastic and "brand new". I guess it should if that's all they do (gauges and speedometers) . . . and have been doing it a long time.

Sure would beat having to burn screens to do it by silk screening! But might not work too well on the Chrysler Electroluminescent displays, though?

CBODY67

The guy that came to our club meeting and told us about his restoration efforts, had the completed speedometer with him to show us. It was immaculate. He said he asked the lady (daughter of the owner) how they did that. She showed him how they had the dedicated Hi-Res 35mm digital camera set up on a tri-pod. Then they took the picture and worked their magic to get it all done. Looked fantastic and "brand new". I guess it should if that's all they do (gauges and speedometers) . . . and have been doing it a long time.

Sure would beat having to burn screens to do it by silk screening! But might not work too well on the Chrysler Electroluminescent displays, though?

CBODY67

So your saying we can't do this with our cell phones? :rofl:

Maybe if you've got a cell phone with a "large file 15+megapixel" set-up? Plus a tri-pod for stability. NFC transfer to the printer might work out well, too!

The reason I say "large file" is that not all "big megapixel" cameras have the same file size capabilities. It's in their specs, as to file size. Larger size = more details, over and above the megapixel spec itself.

CBODY67

Back