Airtemp II Help

Marty

Reaction score
Looking for some expertise on the Airtemp II system for a 72 Imperial.
Bought the car without control module under hood. Bought a reconditioned unit and new electronics module. Installed both and new resistor. Nothing. I have the rear air option. That blower works. The car has been sheltered with only 59k. Like to have heat and air for long trips. Take any and all help.

Thanks

Usually when you have a reconditioned unit (I hope it was from Performance Analysis since those would actually last more than 2 years before cracking and leaking) but given the mileage, if the system still doesn't do anything (at least the front one), it is usually a faulty check valve in the small rubber hoses under the dash and are easily accessible. They have to still seal well in order to activate the system. If you had an Autotemp II tester, it would make your trouble shooting much easier. They are still around for sale sometimes such as on Ebay or inquire with a post on the Imperial Club website.

Usually when you have a reconditioned unit (I hope it was from Performance Analysis since those would actually last more than 2 years before cracking and leaking) but given the mileage, if the system still doesn't do anything (at least the front one), it is usually a faulty check valve in the small rubber hoses under the dash and are easily accessible. They have to still seal well in order to activate the system. If you had an Autotemp II tester, it would make your trouble shooting much easier. They are still around for sale sometimes such as on Ebay or inquire with a post on the Imperial Club website.
The Airtemp system engages the compressor? Or is that handled by something else?

Why do I feel like a science experiment for your amusement?
Don't worry you came to the right place !the auto temp is well talked about subject,many other people have had their air conditioner issues fixed here.

Why do I feel like a science experiment for your amusement?
AutoTemp II is our favorite whipping boy around here. Use the forum Search and get a lot of background. It will tell you far more than can be squeezed into one thread.

Best for AutoTemp II...
fuse.jpg

Most of the Autotemp is actually straight forward and similar to non ATC. i.e. It uses lots of vacuum lines to open/ close doors etc. I find that the "voodoo" is in the black box called the amplifier (pic below). Most blame the servo, but other than the 70-73 plastic version cracking problem, I found they work...and I've never seen a failed 74-78 servo. When the black box fizzles, the appropriate electric signal does not get to the servo, and then the servo does not do what you command...but it's not the servo, it's the amplifier.

Tell us precisely what you mean and we can start on it.

3441553.jpg

Not nice!
I'm just having fun! In October I plan on trailering my 72 Imperial from Tennessee to Florida to have an expert get my AutoTempII working! I've already purchased a new control servo from PAC and an NOS amplifier. The rest I'm leaving up to someone else, unless this thread entices me to delve into it....

Wile e blue.jpg

Not much help.

I'm so glad I have manual A/C in both of my Formal's.

Back