Airtemp II Help

3441553-jpg.jpg

Now you've made me paranoid. I'm going to spend all day Sunday looking through my shop to make sure I still have my new one somewhere.

Just drove home from work in Vegas 105. We have 4 huge roll up windows and 2 winged ones.No need for A/C here.We feel your pain.

I know all the Formal Imp's are ATC II.

Are all the 71-73 Imp's ATC II also???

Most of the Autotemp is actually straight forward and similar to non ATC. i.e. It uses lots of vacuum lines to open/ close doors etc. I find that the "voodoo" is in the black box called the amplifier (pic below). Most blame the servo, but other than the 70-73 plastic version cracking problem, I found they work...and I've never seen a failed 74-78 servo. When the black box fizzles, the appropriate electric signal does not get to the servo, and then the servo does not do what you command...but it's not the servo, it's the amplifier.

Tell us precisely what you mean and we can start on it.

View attachment 140016
I have a rebuilt servo and new amplifier. Both have been installed. Looking for a next step to get some kind of response.

I have a rebuilt servo and new amplifier. Both have been installed. Looking for a next step to get some kind of response.

I had both installed in my 1972 Imperial as well, and nothing at first, until I did what I told you earlier. Then it all works fine. Your choice of what/who to believe.

Next step is to examine the ATC II Vacuum Booster. If it's bad, the system is inoperable.
Check the two lines going to it.
Also, the unexperienced will reverse the two lines which will also make the entire system inoperable.

PicsArt_08-27-02.05.20.jpg

I reversed the hoses and started the motor. I pulled the hoses one at a time and blew and sucked into the hose. One hose was getting good suction. The other nothing. what about the hoses under the servo?

I reversed the hoses and started the motor. I pulled the hoses one at a time and blew and sucked into the hose. One hose was getting good suction. The other nothing. what about the hoses under the servo?

The canister has a check valve on it, so you're only supposed to get vacuum on one side for proper system activation.

As mentioned, these systems (like most AC systems of the 70's) use a lot of vacuum to get things done.Since the coffee canister appears to function, next is an inspection of ALL the vacuum lines for correct routing and valve function, and leaks. As safeforwardlook mentioned, there are check valves under the dash too as vacuum switches to turn on the blower.

As mentioned, these systems (like most AC systems of the 70's) use a lot of vacuum to get things done.Since the coffee canister appears to function, next is an inspection of ALL the vacuum lines for correct routing and valve function, and leaks. As safeforwardlook mentioned, there are check valves under the dash too as vacuum switches to turn on the blower.
This is the part about having a FSM open in front of you so you can see what each line coming out of the distributor port goes where and where the check valve is.

Back