Airtex fuel pump optional for 1969?

Georg/BBTR

Reaction score
Hi guys

The original date code (Friday, July 19th, 1968) Airtex fuel pump on my 1969 New Yorker gave up the ghost yesterday - which is fair, considering the age. ;-)

I replaced it with a standard replacement fuel pump. When I compared the old one with the new one I thought that all the cool features of the Airtex just showed how the companies tried to save money by building more simple units over time. But then I checked my 1969 service manual and figured that both versions were available already in 1969, with the Airtex being an option.

But what kind of option was that? Who ordered that option? No customer cared for a serviceable fuel pump on his Chrysler or Imperial C-Body.

Any idea? And yes, it's a nerdy question, but I would really like to know! :)

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

Interesting. I sold a lot of Airtex back in the 70's Good quality stuff.

I do not have an exact answer as far as why the Airtex pump was an option on the Chrysler and Imperial line. As is obvious from the service manual, these were designed to be a rebuildable unit. These pumps were used extensively on the industrial engines and they were noted for their durability. I suspect that these pumps were offered to give upscale buyers the option of a higher quality pump. I think the diaphragm kits might still be available, so it could be repaired if you wanted to.

Dave

I don't know that it would be a "window sticker" option, but might have been used on fleet vehicles only (actually ordered by acknowledged "fleet buyers of record" with Chrysler Corp rather than individual vehicles purchased and put into fleet uses). Or (more possibly) it could have been that the supply chain for the normal pumps might have been flaky and they used the Airtex item for when the supply chain did hiccup, so that production could continue seamlessly.

See if you can find a rebuild kit with an ethanol-resistant diaphram. Those pumps are not that hard to rebuild. Then you'll have a spare.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

That's neat! I've never seen one like that.

But what kind of option was that? Who ordered that option? No customer cared for a serviceable fuel pump on his Chrysler or Imperial C-Body.

My first car was a 1969 Cadillac Hearse, when going through the service manual, I noticed you could order either vacuum or electric cruise control, and wondered a similar thing. What typical customer even knows the difference? I just want cruise!

On your Cadillac, the factory production cruise would probably have been the vacuum model, whereas the "Accessory" cruise would probably have been the electric Dana/Perfect Circle unit. The OEM cruise would have used electric circuits to engage and allow vacuum into the transducer and also cut vacuum to the unit via the brake switch.

Just a suspicion,
CBODY67

That could be it, I never really delved into it.

Now that I think of it, didn't some of the high performance big blocks come with a similar style, rebuildable Carter fuel pump?

I do not have an exact answer as far as why the Airtex pump was an option on the Chrysler and Imperial line. As is obvious from the service manual, these were designed to be a rebuildable unit. These pumps were used extensively on the industrial engines and they were noted for their durability. I suspect that these pumps were offered to give upscale buyers the option of a higher quality pump. I think the diaphragm kits might still be available, so it could be repaired if you wanted to.

Dave

But which buyer of a Chrysler or Imperial would have cared for a rebuildable fuel pump? That doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Sadly I couldn't find a rebuild kit so far.

I don't know that it would be a "window sticker" option, but might have been used on fleet vehicles only (actually ordered by acknowledged "fleet buyers of record" with Chrysler Corp rather than individual vehicles purchased and put into fleet uses). Or (more possibly) it could have been that the supply chain for the normal pumps might have been flaky and they used the Airtex item for when the supply chain did hiccup, so that production could continue seamlessly.

See if you can find a rebuild kit with an ethanol-resistant diaphram. Those pumps are not that hard to rebuild. Then you'll have a spare.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

My New Yorker wasn't a fleet car, so that can't be the reason for the Airtex pump. And I don't think that it has to do with the supply chain, because then the manual would say something like "your car can have this or that fuel pump", not "Optional 383 and 440 Cu. In. Engine"...

Hi guys

The original date code (Friday, July 19th, 1968) Airtex fuel pump on my 1969 New Yorker gave up the ghost yesterday - which is fair, considering the age. ;-)

I replaced it with a standard replacement fuel pump. When I compared the old one with the new one I thought that all the cool features of the Airtex just showed how the companies tried to save money by building more simple units over time. But then I checked my 1969 service manual and figured that both versions were available already in 1969, with the Airtex being an option.

Any idea? And yes, it's a nerdy question, but I would really like to know! :)

My suspicion is that pump came with the hi perf version of the 440? Is yours a 440 TNT? That pump resembles the street hemi pump, yours looks to have 6 attachment screws, the hemi had 8, IIRC. I'm not sure it's been a LONG time since I've seen these. Anyway, I think the TNT should have been painted orange in 1969, not turquoise?

I suspect the "Optional" part would have not been on the window sticker, but for the procurement operatives that bought the pumps from the suppliers. Which would then mean "optional" to be "Can have this pump rather than the normal pump", which would have had to be approved by the internal "powers that be" at the time at Chrysler.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I got this NOS glass bowl BBC fuel pump. Not sure of original application? Perhaps industrial Chrysler? I’ve always liked these bowl type pumps.
32E00300-ABB0-4593-8E09-FEDC2A24AA9D.jpeg
63864F13-7682-43CF-8FE4-87F3E9C205F5.jpeg

Back