All in a days work...

As I only own old cars, they're all in the line of duty if somethings to be transported, especially while still building around the house. However I recently purchased a small Trailer with a tarp from 1971, similar in design to this one.
They have some following around here with many different manufacturers of multiple decades and quite a few one Offs done by the original owner and registered in his Name as manufacturer.
Not popular in the US from my Observation, except for the larger ones for boats, cars, horses or Camping.

post-10182-1445675237.jpg

As I only own old cars, they're all in the line of duty if somethings to be transported, especially while still building around the house. However I recently purchased a small Trailer with a tarp from 1971, similar in design to this one.
They have some following around here with many different manufacturers of multiple decades and quite a few one Offs done by the original owner and registered in his Name as manufacturer.
Not popular in the US from my Observation, except for the larger ones for boats, cars, horses or Camping.

View attachment 187319
A lot of this kind...

shopbuiltpickupboxtrailer-2.jpg

popular in the US
In the first half of the 20th century, most U.S. cars had solid front axles. This made a natural base for a single-axle trailer. My dad made one from a 1937 Plymouth that he scrapped out. It was somewhat unique in that most of the structure was wood.

Several of my worst offenses...

1975 2 door Impala... 8 ft counter top and 20-30 2x4's ...the dash and sail panels were never the same.
15454287_large.jpg

1993 Roadmaster... repeat performance, I tend to build big, cheap desks this way.
23423.jpg

AND... I had a crapsman tool box this size or slightly bigger...
f00u0u_gZ1e1QW39ph_600x450.jpg
b410c8a0f148a5e50558c16faac413f0.jpg

It transported in a 1982 Sentra by unloading the tools into boxes on the back seat/trunk... wdgeing the top box into the passenger seat so hard I could hardly push the shifter to 3rd... didn't go any faster. I found a piece of cardboard and managed to get the bottom on the roof, an entire roll of duct tape later she was secured. I did that for two round trips, telling the boss to "f@#$off and I mean it".
31966620029_original.jpg

Later that same box, transported in a 1986 600 convertible... top down... lifted the top into the back seat w/passenger seat forward and tilted... tools wherever I could fit them and the box tilted sideways into the trunk... and, lots of duct tape/rope to hold it in place.

I thought it would be freeing to share this... but I still feel like an idiot :realcrazy:

My brother Harry had a '57 Ford Skyliner back in the sixties. This was the Ford with the retractable hard top. It was an everyday car back then, nothing fancy.

In 1962, he got married and was buying furniture to set up their apartment. He bought a table and the salesman came out to help him get it in the car. He took a look and said "I'll get some rope so you can tie it to the roof" and went back in. While he was inside, my brother put the top down and put the table in the back seat, then put the top back up. The salesman came out, rope in hand and his jaw dropped that the table was in the back seat. He kept asking how he got it in the car... and Harry, in his typical fashion, just kept his mouth shut as he drove away....

Since the back seats in my 2008 Chrysler 300 fold down, I've hauled many a load of lumber home from home depot in the back of it. It can handle stuff as long as 10-12', something I really can't do even in my pickup.

Although, when it comes to hauling big things, you can't beat the huge trunk of a C Body. When we took this dresser down to be restored/repaired, I slid it in on its back into the trunk of my 68 Plymouth Fury. It fit down inside just as pretty as you please, still had room to spare around it and I was able to close the trunk all the way, no problem.

IMG_5217.JPG

View attachment 187158

Packed and loaded for Spring Break circa 1979.
That looks like the way we rolled to Florida.
I-75, left lane draft, 85 mph straight thru cause we were kids.

Well within the limits but it sure got looks at Home Depot when I was loading it.
View attachment 187287

Alan
That reminds me of the time I bought a queen size bed and mattress, the bloke in the furniture store helped my father and I carry the items out to the car park where he looked at me and asked 'where's your trailer?', I opened the boot of my then '70 Dodge Phoenix (re-badged Plymouth Fury) and we put all the gear in it. The look of amazement on his face was priceless.

Well within the limits but it sure got looks at Home Depot when I was loading it.
View attachment 187287

Alan
When I was about 10 years old my grandfather went to the hardware store with the Barracuda (this car) to get some 8' corrugated fibreglass sheets, when the clerk was helping him out he asked where his truck was, my grandfather points at the Barracuda, clerk ask if he needs rope to tie it to the roof, my grandfather replies, no I'm going to put it in the trunk and opens the trunk.

I'll never forge that incident, my grandfather had that subtle since of humor.

Alan

Haven't you been reading the air shock thread? You can't put that on an NYB...what's wrong with you!:rofl:

Back