Alternator

Senator Leahy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I did the bulkhead bypass wiring for the alternator, the car has been running good/charging for a while. Recently took all my brackets off and painted them. Started up the car tonight and when I rev'd the engine I noticed sparks coming off the back of the alternator and it fried the fusible link. Any reasons that could cause this? Bad ground perhaps?

Bad positive. Something is shorted. Wire connector not issulated is common issues when modifying charging system. Likely is where you saw the Sparks. Check field connections

I am betting you fried it. Take it to a parts store that checks them. Replace that fuse link. Install good alt. double check all connections. Should be ok

Make sure you didn't fry the diodes. If you did it will discharge while sitting not running. A simple volt meter on the back of the alt. Check to see if volts drop. Car not running

Hey guys,
I hate to butt into this thread but...
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to find a diagram on how to wire the bulkhead bypass? What all exactly gets bypassed?
Thanks in advance
Greg

Hey guys,
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to find a diagram on how to wire the bulkhead bypass? What all exactly gets bypassed?
Thanks in advance
Greg

you tube often has good info on car related repairs & mods. Also MOPAR Action . Com. Has some tech history pages. I know Ehrinburger has discussed this in the magizine so maybe it's posted on the tech archive pages

The original lead (hot) wire from the alternator & the factory amp gauge are the weak links. Study up on this or you may be sorry.

Hey guys,
Thanks in advance
Greg

Very simple to do. From the main power stud on the back of the alternator, add at least a 10ga wire from there, to the main power stud on your starter relay, or directly to the positive post on your battery. Your done! Now the main power does not pass through the firewall, through the gauge and back out to the engine bay. Your factory AMP gauge will not be accurate anymore though.

I would.put some sort of fuse or circuit breaker in it. You can get big circuit breakers.at a truck parts store or make a fuseable link out of a size or two smaller guage wire, better to cook a inch piece of wire than the whole run back to alt.

You ask this same question in any other Mopar forum and you will get a two page reply from someone who will make it a two day affair ripping apart the dash.
Just goes to show you where The Best & The Brightest hang out...

Back