Another silly fuel pump replace question

66furys

Reaction score
I am laying awake again with this one. Can the fuel pump push rod fall into the recesses, or is it long enough to actually start into its bore from the outside of the block. Assume the latter. Have purchased a new rod to go with the Carter pump. And, have not heard anyone talk about rotating the engine to get the eccentric back to allow no fight with the fitup. And, I am noting in the many threads on the subject that the inner bolt is a bear. So what my nitemares have decided is to use a stud on the outside to align as it goes in, with the inner bolt in place with socket and extension to get it started. But, am thinking that this is just another thing to keep me up at nite.

Is it a big block? Get some rest. I replaced mine and I'd never done it before and it was a piece of cake.

Grease the rod (not oil), it should stay in place long enough to get the pump in. No need to rotate the engine.

Rod, plug, pump.

Alan

Thanks guys for great support.....have pulled it, and now the fun begins.

Well if the cam lobe is up then the pump won’t go into sitting flush on the block by hand. So I like to rotate the engine until it will sit flat on the block with no tension.

The rod starts into the bore from outside the engine, you cannot lose it inside. Yes a bit of grease on it keeps it up out of the way.

Use a 6” extension and short socket for the rear bolt and it is fine. If you have a 1969 and newer car with AC then the alternator bracket is somewhat in the way of the fuel pump bolts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I have just climbed out from under. Pump is in. I can see the pump lever thru the block hole, w/o plug so assume all is in line. But, laying on the gravel has left me with no air, so time for more beer. Now I need to bend a new slice of 5/16 tube to go to the carb. I had gotten a piece of the black coated stuff that they thought was somewhat softer than steel......hmmm would not even bend in the tube benders....tried twice. So, now have some CuNi on the way for that little job. But appreciate all your thoughts....very helpful today. And yes, I did turn the crank until the old pump stopped pumping while removing. And, new one sits tight.....nice.

Back