Another "Will they fit my car?" thread

yella fury

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Scott Drake aluminum Magnum 500 wheels in the Summit catalog. I got on their website and found that the 15X7 version only comes in 4-1/4" backspacing. This will work fine on the rear, but I'm concerned about tire clearance in the front. I have 14" road wheels now with 225 70's. That tire is just over 26" tall and doesn't have a whole lot of clearance between the tire and frame rail at full lock. I am looking to put 235 70's, which is a 28" tall tire on the 15" Magnums. Do any of you run that much back spacing on the front? I really like the aluminum Magnum 500's, but if that size won't fit my car I'll have to look at different wheels. Whatever wheels I decide to go with will be shod with 235 70's.

I have 15x7 rims with 4.25” backspace. That’s the typical b.s. for 7” wide rims.
My tires are 225/70x15 with no clearance issues up front. Lock to lock.

If you're concerned about tire clearance, don't forget to look at the outer tie rod ends, especially if they have the factory rubber shields on them, by observation!

On our '66 Newport with the factory 14x5.5 wheels, H78-14 tires we had on it at one time, with a much thicker sidewall and "curb protector" ridges for the whitewall, would lightly rub those rubber shields.

Fords were the only cars that used a 15x7 Magnum 500 from the factory, which the Scott Drake wheels emulate. Chrysler products only had 14" versions, fwiw.

The American Racing VN501s only come in a 15x7 4.0" backspacing, which is the other common configuration for 15x7 wheels. fwiw.

BE SURE to check the rear wheels, too! At the rear, the "hard points" are the wheel house on the outside of the wheel and the leaf springs on the inside. Be sure to look at ALL places, not just the front.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have 15x7 rims with 4.25” backspace. That’s the typical b.s. for 7” wide rims.
My tires are 225/70x15 with no clearance issues up front. Lock to lock.

I run 17 x 7 VN501s with 235/55ZR17s both front and back and have no issues with clearance either.

Back