Any good refs on DIY 1966 Newport instrument cluster overhaul?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Having replaced the filler tube grommet on my pleasantly surprisingly NEW full size 23 gallon gas tank, I now would like to get the fuel gauge working. So I removed the instrument cluster, which I'm using NONE of at present, and seeing how nice its condition is, I would like to rebuild and rehabilitate it. Are there any good documents on these? I can easily enough replace the power supply and bulbs, check the speedometer et al, but a nice systemic set of notes always helps.

Having replaced the filler tube grommet on my pleasantly surprisingly NEW full size 23 gallon gas tank, I now would like to get the fuel gauge working. So I removed the instrument cluster, which I'm using NONE of at present, and seeing how nice its condition is, I would like to rebuild and rehabilitate it. Are there any good documents on these? I can easily enough replace the power supply and bulbs, check the speedometer et al, but a nice systemic set of notes always helps.

I am about to embark on a similar journey with my '66 300. I had some very good advice from the collective regarding repairing or replacing the pin connectors on the printed circuit which are broken in my case. Here's the thread...

66 300 Cluster f*#@ed??

Cool! The gas gauge sending unit pin is loose, but the rest are good. Disappointed a tad to learn my gas gauge itself fried too, alas! I'm tempted at this point to completely modernize the speedometer and petrol gauges. There certainly is AMPLE room there! Only the column shifter indicator works on mine, so I'm thinking some serious electric/electronic upgrades may now proceed apace in there. I use a cheap smart phone for the speedometer already....

Back