Anybody ever swapped a 5.9 Magnum into a C Body?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
No, I am never going to swap out the 440 in my New Yorker. BUT! After driving my Ram for some time, I’ve wondered if anyone’s ever put a Magnum into an old C.

Seems like the Magnum V8 is to us Mopar guys what the LS is to GM guys. As a Mopar guy - I do feel jealous at times of what the GM guys have with the LS. However, the 360 Magnum seems to be an awesome, stout and powerful motor!

I know it’s basically a revised / revamped version of its LA counterpart. Still, I’ve always wondered how they’d perform in an old C body. If I ever picked up another one someday or ANY classic Mopar for that matter, I feel like it’d be interesting to try and see how the Magnum would hold up.

IMG_2223.jpeg

I haven't personally but I seen an article years ago where someone put a 5.9 magnum in a 72 Fury if I remember right on the car. I think there are YouTube videos on this project to.

Lots of them out there. It's a great reliable mod. To me however it takes away the reasons of having old iron.

I would do it if I was going to go full computer-control / fuel injection for the engine. Buy an old ram or something with a 5.2 and rip everything out. But I don't know if the "kegger" intake would fit under the hood? You realize that the intake bottom cover plate on the magnum has issues and should be changed. Go to a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. I did that for my '01 ram last year, I bought the Hughes kit but if I did it again I'd just buy the plate from ebay and the gaskets from rock and end up spending 1/2 as much.

But I'll tell ya one thing - the milage I get from the 5.2 in my '01 RWD ram (standard cab, long box, with overdrive, with a lot of air in the tires) is not good. Maybe 18 mpg on a flat highway with no headwind. Urban diving is a lot worse. I rarely drive it now (only 45k miles) so I can live with that.

Last edited:
Lots of them out there. It's a great reliable mod. To me however it takes away the reasons of having old iron.
agree 100% I was into vintage mini bikes and always hated the old minis with the modern Predator engines instead of the orig Briggs or Techumseh flatheads, but I am jealous of those that have the skill set & innovation to pull off a modern driveline swap in any old car!

20220213_155052.jpg

I put a 5.2 magnum in place of the original 318 in my 69 Wagon. I picked 5.2 for a few reasons.

-Same displacement
-Neutral balance so no screwing around with special flexplates and weighted converters
-I had it already

Works very well. Car runs strong.

The last year of the 360 was 2002, so as far as Chrysler is concerned it's already obsolete. That might not mean much to us that are dealing with truely obsolete cars, but is worth considering in the grand scheme of things. It's replacement, the 5.7 Hemi makes alot more power, but is significantly more complex.

The last year of the 360 was 2002, so as far as Chrysler is concerned it's already obsolete. That might not mean much to us that are dealing with truely obsolete cars, but is worth considering in the grand scheme of things. It's replacement, the 5.7 Hemi makes alot more power, but is significantly more complex.
In the future I'm going to utilize the 6.4 and A8 in a Polara and will document the process here. It's getting less and less complex, but indeed. It's not a bolt in ordeal like a LA to a Magnum.

Back