Anyone try Monroe rear shocks w/helper springs?

Great! Did the 76 manual show the air ride suspension adjustment? Was it an option for 76 NY'er / Newport / T&C?

Rear height control was one of the few Imperial features carried on after 75...so yes, it was available from 75-78. According to my 76 options list rear height control was a $92.00 option in the day.

Do you know of a problem with the air ride suspension? Specifically the bracket breaking that ties the valve on the frame near the left rear tire that ties it to the leaf spring? It looks like that bracket could crack/break if the car is lifted by the frame and the rear tires are unsupported.

F.Y.I. The quote from Springs and Things is $215 for either the 4 or 5 leaf springs. Rear bushings are $20 extra. The quote from St Louis Springs Company was $137 for the four leaf and $154 for the five leaf. The rear bushings are $1.50 each (will need eight). I will talk to my mechanic friend but I'm leaning towards St Louis Spring Company.

I do not Pete, I have never tried these shocks. I do recommend replacing the springs.
Springs and Things in Danville PA seem to always have what you need. You wont regret it...

http://www.springsnthings.com/

1978 Bumper Heights

The data showing on the chart are nominal dimensions subject to production tolerances of + or - 1" (inch) on front bumper and + or - 1-1/4" (inch) on rear bumper.

2 to 2 1/2 spread on ride height seems like pretty loose tolerances. I'm not sure that would be acceptable on today's vehicles.

Do you know of a problem with the air ride suspension? Specifically the bracket breaking that ties the valve on the frame near the left rear tire that ties it to the leaf spring? It looks like that bracket could crack/break if the car is lifted by the frame and the rear tires are unsupported.

I've never seen that happen and know of no design flaws. The biggest issue I've seen is pinched/ cut air lines.

I noticed that the compressor under the left front fender was running a lot. I checked out the rest of the system and discovered the bracket was broken. I can't imagine how else it could of broke?

I had the rear leaf springs in my 65 Newport re-curved and rebuilt at a spring shop in City of Industry, CA ~1993. They were written up in Cars & Parts. After a few years, the rear sagged again. I installed air bladder shocks from J.C. Whitney ~1996. They have a small tube that runs to a Shraeder valve you mount in the trunk. I can adjust the height with a few pumps of a bicycle pump (don't use a compressor!). Great idea for Mafia guys who need to haul bodies without drawing attention. Never a leak and no stiff ride. I see the same part today, maybe Autozone or rockauto sites, for about the price I paid then ~$60/pr. Might be Munroe, I forgot.

Last edited:
Back