Anyone want to discuss This??

The first car I remember my parents having was a 55 Dodge Coronet 2 dr.
Then came a 64 Newport followed by a 68 Newport and then a 71 Imperial.
Many fine cars from the sixties and seventies have graced my garage since then. And plenty of it has been Mopar iron.
Mopar in order but not in preference.
66 Dart 4 dr, 170 motor. Slooooow.
66 Fury 111, 440.
69 Dart GTS, 340, auto, 3.91 rear. Quite the surprise that car was.
70 Newport, 383.
63 Newport wagon, 361.
68 Dart 4 dr, 225.
70 Satellite 4 dr, 318.
70 Chrysler Hurst 300, 440.
67 Dart GT, 318.
70 Challenger, 225, 4 speed, no p/s or pb.
63 Dart convertible, 225.
67 Belveder 2dr, 440 swapped in.
72 Barracuda 318.
70 Dodge Super Bee, 440 six pack auto, 3.91 rear, good running car.
66 Newport 2 dr, 383.
72 Satellite Sebring plus, 400.
76 New Yorker 4 dr, 440. Mid-sixties C bodies are good cars.
64 New Yorker, 413.
75 Dart 4 dr, 318, auto, a/c ps, pb.

I inherited them. But I also wouldn't trade 'em for much of anything. I have pics of me working on Polara's with Dad as soon as I could walk. The current '65 500 was purchased when I was 3. I don't remember life without this car, and I don't plan to in the future.

Like most of my old cars, I stumbled across it, it peaked my interest, so I bought it. I grew up a GM guy, still am at heart, but I learned about 20 years ago you can't pigeon hole yourself to one brand or you'll miss out on a lot of cool cars. I've had GM's, Mopars, Fords, a few European cars and a few Japanese cars. The American cars are more my speed, so I do tend to gravitate more towards them.

I got the bug from my grandfather...he never really had any old cars but he was an engineer and worked on all his own vehicles and farm equipment. When he retired he started wrenching on friends and family vehicles so I was around that growing up. My Father liked the older vehicles but finances just never allowed him to be able to have one, but we used to play a game when driving of identifying every vehicle we saw, even if it was just from taillights....that kind of sparked my love of old cars.

Fast forward to my early teens and I purchased a 58 Chevy Pick up to fix up, never really got far with it but spent a lot of time looking for parts and talking to car guys in the process. When my brother started working for a local Ford dealership he became a lifelong Ford guy, I was still not brand specific. He called me one day and said they had a cool trade come in...1966 Ford Falcon Futura 2dr, red with a black vinyl top, black bucket interior, 289/spd auto. I kind of wanted an old car so bought it for maybe $1500?? Only drove it a few times when I got rear ended by a 78 Chevy Caprice and it totaled the car.

Got about $2K from insurance and went looking for another car. I knew of a 69 Charger parked in a barn so went by and asked if it was for sale, yes it was and managed to get it for what I received from my insurance payout. It was a 69 Charger 383/2bbl/auto, with buckets and console, factory EW1 with a green top and interior, but had been painted Hemi orange and top coloured black. It had a 400/4bbl in it when I got it. Drove it for a year or two and once again an accident beyond my control....hit a patch of black ice and spun into the ditch damaging the passenger rear quarter and tail panel. Started amassing parts for a rebuild, rust free fenders, tailpanel, quarters etc, and thought why not go 440/4spd so started hunting more parts and this was when I found my 68 Coronet 500 convertible. I sold the charger and all the parts and focused on the coronet. I was a die hard mopar man by then.

While I Restored the coronet, bought a 73 340 Road runner survivor car and drove that for many years. Sold the coronet to buy my first house, sold off the road runner as well Then decided I needed a C-body...so bought a 70 Sport Fury PH29 car. Drove that for a few years then sold it to get a pick up truck since the house needed lots of renos. Once the renos had moved along I wanted another old car and was really diggin the mopar wagons, I looked at some B-body wagons but eventually came across pics of a 1968 Chrysler Town and Country wagon and I fell in love with the look of the car.

So the hunt for a nice clean rust free 68 T/C wagon started...I'd learned by then that cheap and rusty is never worth it. ;) I had no care for motor or transmission, color or options as long as it was rust free. Guy finally contacted me with a wagon missing motor and tranny but completely rust free. He needed a concrete pad pured for his mobile home so I said I would give him the money to pay for that and I'd get the car. Got the car home and at that time I had a 71 Chrysler 300 4dr parts car I had picked up so the 440/auto went in the wagon. Lots of work on the wagon over the years, but body and interior are still mostly original. Used to vacation every year with the family driving hours through the mountains of BC...so many memories!

And last year managed to buy back my 68 Cornet 500 convertible I had sold to purchase my first house, guy had only put 325 miles on it in 20 years and kept it in a heated/AC shop as art more than anything. So I have the two major cars of my life now and no desire to part with either.

My first Mopar was an '81 Plymouth TC3. My first $100 car. It had the crappy 2.2l auto that couldn't get out of its own way. Red interior with the console shifter and bucket seats. Big sunroof to boot. She was a looker in a black coat. It had a rusted rear frame that bent when I ran over what I think was a brake drum off a truck. I then performed my first Dukes style jump off a road approach that sent me around 60 ft down ditch, with around ten ft or better in height.

I then got my '67 Dart in '98. It had a blown up /6 with a bad 904 attached. I pulled that and put in a 360 and 727. I also threw in an 8 3/4 rear axle with 4:10's. It never moved much under its own power, maybe 15 miles or so...

Why? Because I bought this '66 Polara that needed a little work to get it on the road. I was gonna flip it so I had some more money for the Dart. That worked out so well, I ended up buying another '66 Polara 500 that needed a little bit more work to get on the road. It was supposed to replace the Polara, but I love that car and that wasn't going to happen.

I bought a '66 Monaco 500 that needs a lot, then a '68 Monaco 500 that needed a little, and gave me two solid years of memories with some good friends I've met from this site. I bought another car, and then another and a few more. I'm screwed, I love my '66 Dodges and I wish I could have them all. I have a good fleet of some interesting cars, and I still have that Dart, waiting for me to give it some love, and get it back on the road.

Last edited:
As you can tell by the picture of my beloved 64 Imperial. i am a 60's Mopar guy. Not those overpowered stupid B abd E bodies but the full size Chryslers for which the wedge engine was originally designed for.

Well a lot of reasons. We were kinda Chrysler. Must have been good to my dad on Saskatchewan farm. He had 51 57 ply. 2 ton 48 dodge grain trucks . and 68 polara his first new car. Only to die in 70 .brain cancer.
But me at 10 à 68 charger was the most beautiful . Thing on the planet. Then 68 300 then ply. Vip. Canadian National rail was 3/4 mile south. And we would watch the new models go by in August.. 69 charger. Etc.
At 14 . . Abuse the Polara lose it at 85 mph on a prairie trail. Then it only got worse. 68 polara traded for a 74 sebring plus. . 3 1/2 miles of gravel to pavement. 90 everyday ..then RR tracks at 95 . Broken u bolts . Transmission mounts.
.steal u bolts off 50s Plymouths to fix.
Past that bought my first car 70 newport custom 4 dr. Htp. Loved it.800$ cool stuff auto temp. Truck release rim blow... fun
Then wife kids poverty land payments etc. And 40 years of work . Now on the plus side at 65. .
So a 70 Newyorker. . Same year as my first car and my dads passing. .
Have a 68 Plymouth fury slant. Both Drivers . Plus à project.
1971 gtx 440 six pac. . In the works.
But the cheap ones are way more fun .

I had a few GM muscle cars in high school in the early 80’s then switched to motorcycles. Now I have 15 bikes including a ‘46 Vincent, four Ducatis, three Laverdas, a Norton etc. I was driving down a back road a few months ago and a 65 Sport Fury was parked with a for sale sign on it. I bought it on the spot. I’m still not really a car guy or brand loyal, but I simply adore the car and plan on keeping it forever.

IMG_1525.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

Well a lot of reasons. We were kinda Chrysler. Must have been good to my dad on Saskatchewan farm. He had 51 57 ply. 2 ton 48 dodge grain trucks . and 68 polara his first new car. Only to die in 70 .brain cancer.
But me at 10 à 68 charger was the most beautiful . Thing on the planet. Then 68 300 then ply. Vip. Canadian National rail was 3/4 mile south. And we would watch the new models go by in August.. 69 charger. Etc.
At 14 . . Abuse the Polara lose it at 85 mph on a prairie trail. Then it only got worse. 68 polara traded for a 74 sebring plus. . 3 1/2 miles of gravel to pavement. 90 everyday ..then RR tracks at 95 . Broken u bolts . Transmission mounts.
.steal u bolts off 50s Plymouths to fix.
Past that bought my first car 70 newport custom 4 dr. Htp. Loved it.800$ cool stuff auto temp. Truck release rim blow... fun
Then wife kids poverty land payments etc. And 40 years of work . Now on the plus side at 65. .
So a 70 Newyorker. . Same year as my first car and my dads passing. .
Have a 68 Plymouth fury slant. Both Drivers . Plus à project.
1971 gtx 440 six pac. . In the works.
But the cheap ones are way more fun .

The memory of my 70 sixpac tells me your 71 is going to be a blast.

I was born on the east coast, into a Ford family. Well, no one else in the family was really into cars, but, my parents always had Fords. When my older brother started driving, he also went through a series of Fords. But, there was an event which left an impact on me. It was about 1967 and I was about 6 or 7 years old. Summer vacation that year involved flying to the west coast and staying with family in Oregon. My aunt and uncle had a brand new 66 Satellite. It was the first car that I remember riding in with bucket seats and console. I fell in love with that car through all the miles of touring the area. Ten years later when I was ready to buy my first car, I remembered that experience and bought a 67 Belvedere convertible. It was almost a Satellite, but without the buckets and console. My aunt and uncle flew to the east coast for a visit about that time. I was anxious to see what my uncle thought about his Satellite being the inspiration for me buying the Belvedere. I remeber being disappointed that he didn't even remember the Satellite. They traded in their cars every two years, so they hadn't actually had the Satellite for long. After that, I had a bunch of A and B bodies. Most of them I still have. But, I always liked the 66 C body Furys and Polaras. I started a search for a big block 66 Sport Fury convertible. Instead, I found a super clean 318 poly 66 Sport Fury hardtop that I couldn't pass up. That was around 2016. By 2023, my desire for a big block C body vert hadn't subsided. I had a 66 Fury, so this time I searched for a 66 Polara convertible. Finally bought one sight unseen, after a buddy checked it out for me. It arrived Thursday of last week. Its solid, but does need some work.

DSCN0460.JPG

DSCN0461.JPG

DSCN0462.JPG

DSCN0467.JPG

DSCN4844.JPG

DSCN4848.JPG

DSCN4851.JPG

DSCN0463.JPG

DSCN0464.JPG

Hey Jim 68 cuda, I believe I've communicated with you in the past. My name is also Jim & have a 68 cuda along w/10 other vehicles. All but 2 are mopars. One odd car is a RX8 fun fun but that's a whole different format. Anyway 4 are C bodys. Only 2 out of the 11 cars are parts cars. Born in the 50s my mopar story starts in 69. Man so many awesome experiences. From driving a 67 New Yorker from NW Indiana to Washington Utah & back to using a 68 New Yorker in a demo. derby @ the county fair.( placed 3rd overall, driveshaft broke) . Your cars are very nice. Back in high school everyone had Camaros, Mustangs & Mercurys. One guy had a orange cougar eliminator (i really liked that one) no to very small amounts of mopars. Back then you knew you were a good mechanic if you could keep em running. Wrenching for over 40 yrs., little over 30 yrs. ASE certified. Newer cars are just no interest to work on so I'm done. I'll just go into my toy box and play with my old rides.

I had an affinity for vehicles early in my life.
My dad bought a 65 Corvair Monza for $150 in 1978 and drove it home. My brother, dad and I fixed that car up and I painted it in 9th grade in my parents garage.
I then bought a 69 Cougar, when the front shock tower broke (cracked from a previous accident), I sold pieces and bought the 65 Mustang coupe that I still have. My parents were mostly Ford centric, and my first Mopar experience was a 57 Chrysler New Yorker with a 413, in a demolition derby that I got from our neighborhood postman. 6 demolition derbies later and retirement got me my first real Mopar, Shamu, a 69 Plymouth Fury III convertible.
I also have a 68 Plymouth Fury II sedan, a 67 Fury parts car and a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire.
I also own another 8 vehicles, including a 38’ 2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that I bought from my uncle.
My career was as a flight test/test equipment engineer, but my mechanical aptitude helped my career greatly.

Back