Are NOS Mopar Shocks Worth Buying?

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are "air cushion" Mopar replacement shocks any good? Would they ride like the originals from 1970?

DSCF6081-X2.jpg

front.JPG

Off hand I'd say the seals are so old they'd blow pretty dang quick...but if they're cheap enough maybe you'll get lucky?

From what I remember of the shocks of the era, why would you want them? Unless, of course, you are doing a full restoration. We each have our preferences or prejudgices on which are the best shocks, but IMHO modern shocks are far superior. Personally, I would recomend KYB's. Just my opinion. Lindsay

Thank you for the opinions.Everybody talks about the extinct Monroe Super 500's and I was just wondering if these are similar. People either love or hate the KYB's...no rhyme or reason to it.

IMHO, I don't believe those would really be "NOS" like the shocks they put on the car at the factory.

NORS, yes... What folks forget is Mopar had a line of replacement parts for a lot of cars, and not just Chrysler products. Those could be spec'd to fit a bunch of vehicles and may be identical to what was originally installed... or maybe not. Definitely not going to have the OEM part number on them (at least I wouldn't bet on it).

Chrysler didn't build stuff like this... They bought from parts manufacturers and suppliers, so it could even come from a different supplier too!

The Monroe Super 500s were the premium HD shock back then. Worked on all vehicles, too. Had a 1 3/16" of 1 3/8" piston diameter, which is one determiner of "HD" or not back then. All Chrysler front shocks had a 1" diameter piston, due to the size of the tube the shock went into in the front stub frame, but had stiffer valving to compensate.

We got some of the Chrysler "parts book" hd shocks for our '66 Newport. At the base of the shock housing was stamped "M.A.E.CO.", which the old line Chrylser service manager said was "Monroe Auto Equipment Company", which replaced the earlier "Monroe" stamping on Chrysler shocks.

The pictured shocks were their aftermarket line, not OEM replacement, as I recall.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back