ARP Head Bolts

mrzods13

Reaction score
The head bolts come with washers, am I supposed to use the washers with them, using them with cast iron heads.

yes you need to use them. The length and the torque yield they specify is based on having the washers. Make sure you use their lube as well when installing. Changing any of that will change the actual clamping force applied regardless of what the torque wrench says.

Well I might have screwed up, I used thread sealant being I didn't know if there were any water jackets that the head bolts went through, well now I am screwed being everything is torqued down, I lubed the washer and the top of the bolts but now I might have screwed it up.

Last week, a guy had to pull his new heads off because he shattered his spark plug.

I had to pull my new heads because I didn't read the fine print on the head gaskets I bought.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc....

Welcome to the club.

:BangHead:

It makes it much harder to get them out if you do that. I would pull them and try to clean the threads. There is no A, LA, B, or RB engine that the head bolts go into a water jacket. The only thing you ever have to worry about that with is the end exhaust manifold bolts or studs.

Two notes - the washers are important but they have to be installed so the chamfer on the ID faces the bolt head or they can damage the bolt. Second - use the ARP lube - tap an clean the holes before you reinstall the bolts, and torque them in three steps.

Back