At the clear risk of overkill, a summary of my 77 Newport restoration efforts to date...

Pclancy

Reaction score
I purchased my 1977 Chrysler Newport in from a Canadian gentleman in a Bringatrailer auction in March 2016. $5700. Here’s the link to the auction: 1977 Chrysler Newport Coupe. She had about 78,000 kilometers on the clock when I bought her. She now has about 98,000 kilometers. That’s about 60,000 miles.

I drove her back to Washington DC from Canada, a trip without any issues save for the fact that the engine consumed far more oil than the PO had led me to believe it would. I don’t think the PO was dishonest; the car had previously not been driven for long periods for many years and so perhaps the oil consumption was not as noticeable.

When I returned home, I began to attack every mechanical issue that arose. I used the car almost every week when I was at home (I travel overseas frequently for work). Many issues arose over the following years. Suffice to say that my mechanics and I are on first name terms. Owning a 41 year old Chrysler is not for the faint of heart (or wallet unless you do the work yourself).

Major work performed included (in no particular order):

1) Removal of the lean burn system. Involved installing a Mopar Electronic Ignition conversion kit; and then subsequently rebuilding original TQ carb, replacing spark plug wires and plugs, ignition module, distributor cap, rotor button, ignition cables, resistor, etc. In some cases, parts were replaced more than once due to poor quality parts being purchased and installed. This was a frustrating period.

2) Replaced brake master cylinder

3) Replaced all 4 shocks with KYB gas shock absorbers

4) Replaced transmission oil pan gasket and filter

5) Differential oil replaced and cover overhauled

6) Replaced worn transmission mount

7) Replaced inner and outer tie rod ends

8) Replaced upper and lower ball joints

9) Repacked/replaced wheel bearings

10) Installed new battery

11) Front end alignment

12) Applied Krown Rust proofing treatment (Canadian rust proofing for a Canadian car!)

13) Installed catalytic convertor (in a successful effort to get her to pass DC emissions; but she now has historical plates which makes her exempt from emissions and inspections)

14) Replaced original spare tire

15) Front brake rotors repaired/resurfaced; calipers replaced

16) Valve cover gaskets replaced

17) Replaced valve seals, rocker shafts and springs (Engine now does not burn oil)

18) Clock (chronometer) and AM/FM/8-track tape professionally rebuilt/repaired

19) New rear deck and front dash speakers installed

20) AC compressor re-oiled and AC recharged

21) Finally gave up on the TQ carb and installed a new Edelbrock 1406

22) Doors adjusted to improve alignment with body and latches

23) New tires installed in September 2018

24) Steering slack adjusted

25) Front end alignment adjusted again

26) Rear spring shackle bushings replaced

27) Electronic door locks repaired

28) Windshield wiper arc adjusted

I find the car a blast to drive and I like the way she looks. She steers and stops straight; she’s quiet, and she has a fantastic ride quality. Her motor is powerful enough to propel her at 70 MPH+ all day long, and she loves the open road. She is not known for fuel economy—maybe 10 in town and 12-13 on the road. Her body and interior are in excellent condition—no rust anywhere; original paint that shines up nicely; fantastic upholstery and carpets; fantastic dash and dash pad; and the vinyl top is in great shape. My family doesn’t like her, finding her way too big and weird. But that’s their problem. Literally everything on the car works. I pray that my ATC II system does not break, but so far the heating and cooling work well.

Issues that she still has include a very livable trembling at idle with the AC on. I notice sometimes a micro hesitation in throttle response from a dead start---but I am tired of messing with the carb and it’s hardly noticeable. She far prefers the cooler weather to the DC summer, but she never overheats, even in the dead of summer stuck in urban traffic. Her motor mounts are still good, but will need to be replaced in another 5 years or so. Her right hand mirror remote adjustment works with difficulty. I need to replace her roof rail seals, which are becoming frayed and rotted with old age. I am having a front seat cover custom made by a local upholstery shop to protect the pristine brocade cloth seats (my dog loves to travel in her). No one ever sits in the back seat, so I just throw a blanket down.

Economically, she has been a disaster, and I have invested far more than I will ever get back. But that’s not the point. I have a car I like; she’s rare and unusual, and she’s fun to drive. I’m happy with my Newport, and plan to keep her a long time.

Big blocks are known to consume oil. Rebuild the heads with new valve guides and seals and you'll have another 50,000 mile run without an oil consumption problem. Some oil might be getting past the rings but most of it getting past the valve guides and seals. You probably get a puff of smoke when starting it up after it's been sitting awhile.

That’s a sweet Chrysler!:thumbsup:

Big blocks are known to consume oil. Rebuild the heads with new valve guides and seals and you'll have another 50,000 mile run without an oil consumption problem. Some oil might be getting past the rings but most of it getting past the valve guides and seals. You probably get a puff of smoke when starting it up after it's been sitting awhile.
I had the valve guides and seals replaced (but not the heads rebuilt) and that seemed to have done the trick. No more excessive oil consumption, no puff of smoke on start up......I LOVE it!

As I was bidding on that car as well although with a far lower number than what it sold for I thank you for saving me all that money.....as I would have done the same as you! Congrats on the car and well done on the reconditioning!

:thankyou:

As I was bidding on that car as well although with a far lower number than what it sold for I thank you for saving me all that money.....as I would have done the same as you! Congrats on the car and well done on the reconditioning!

:thankyou:
Sort of an automotive posioned chalice....but I love her.

Its that love that keeps them alive. They are painful in the process, but the end result is all worth it. My greatest respect to you for all your perseverance.

My parents had a 1977 Newport coupe, it was a beautiful car. My dad custom ordered it. The car was Sunfire Blue metallic with a white vinyl top and a baby blue interior. It had road wheels with whitewall tires and rear fender skirts. If I come across any pics of it I will be sure to post them.

I have had a few Newports 4 door and 2. Nice driving cars. I currently have a town and country to fix up and go road tripping in.

I have had a few Newports 4 door and 2. Nice driving cars. I currently have a town and country to fix up and go road tripping in.
Pictures?? Come on now!! You know better! You can mention owning a car and not posting pictures. Now go to your room for timeout. Lol

My last NYB smoked like a chimney,when the secondaries opened up a huge smoke screen would erupt from the exhaust.It was a 400 and actually was pretty strong considering.I still prefer the 440.But your car sounds wonderful,if you really love it,the cost won,t seem as bad,It will give you a lot of joy.i miss mine badly.I like the ATC2 system.but it is complex.B.B

nice ride. most of the stuff you had done on your list would likely have needed to be done on almost any 40 year plus old car. the choice to put the money into that beauty was a no brainer. enjoy.

Back