Atco Dragway Closes

Used to spectate and eventually race there about 20 years ago before I moved away from NJ. My profile pic was taken in the pits there. Sad day!

Soma Atco Dragway sticker memorabilia. This is some supposed famous HD back in the early 70's, barn found and sold in the past decade.

1972 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER ORIG.PAINT 1482 MILES.002.jpg
1972 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER ORIG.PAINT 1482 MILES.013.jpg
1972 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER ORIG.PAINT 1482 MILES.021.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excellent way to kill bystanders.
Omni
Stand in one spot on any given road and see how long it takes you to die. Wrecks happen every day that involve no racing at all, mainly due to phone handling. I will take two cars racing on a uncrowded road with both drivers intently focused on driving rather than some twit with a phone and a Instagram account.

I will take two cars racing on a uncrowded road with both drivers intently focused on driving rather than some twit with a phone and a Instagram account.
Unfortunately, the above scenario is rare. Street racing usually takes place on urban streets/highways/interstates (at least the deadly ones). Even if you do find a lonely stretch of country road there are still hazards that are not encountered on sanctioned tracks (animals).
Racing is safest when it is done where it is suppose to be done.
Educating the public about the service that tracks perform (honing your driving skills, tweaking you car, fellowship) and the track owners themselves as opposed to blasting down a road just to see who is faster is a far better way.
Omni

Even if you do find a lonely stretch of country road there are still hazards that are not encountered on sanctioned tracks (animals).

The late Nate Cohen (known as Nazy Crate, google him) hit a deer in the traps at Atco with his Super Stock Fairlane.

Re
Unfortunately, the above scenario is rare. Street racing usually takes place on urban streets/highways/interstates (at least the deadly ones). Even if you do find a lonely stretch of country road there are still hazards that are not encountered on sanctioned tracks (animals).
Racing is safest when it is done where it is suppose to be done.
Educating the public about the service that tracks perform (honing your driving skills, tweaking you car, fellowship) and the track owners themselves as opposed to blasting down a road just to see who is faster is a far better way
Really, because I see dipshits all day long way more interested in their phone than my 40 ton truck 3 feet to their right.
Don't believe the government hype. Inattentive driving will always kill the most people.
Remember speed does not kill, it the stop that kills you.

Last edited:
No, you only hear about it then.
Street racing sells copy, and ratings for news cast. Someone wrecks while texting no one will ever know because accident is long forgotten about by the time phone records are introduced in court. I have multiple people per day that almost run right into the side of my semi-truck because of their phone. I have never gotten close to being involved in a street race accident with my truck, and I'm out a lot at 2,3,4 am. In a lot of shitty urban areas where street racing happens.

Last edited:
I'm on your side Dave.
I know.
I hate seeing a track close also, especially one with as much history as ATCO. I get a little "invested when people just start repeating crap they see on the news. First of all if you are standing on the side of a road, any road at 3:30 in the morning, you are not a innocent bystander. If your driving across the street at a crossroads and get hit by cars street racing, you either did not look both ways, not listening to what your mother told you, or you have terrible situational awareness, or your just really unlucky, and you would have probably got hit by a city bus on the same street.
The high speed roll racing on the interstate is a different animal and is not done at a place like Atco so moot point.
I understood you were with me, just getting amped up. Counting to 10 as I type this.

Last edited:
Agree again on all counts . The carelessness of " bystanders " is often overlooked to make them a victim. Usually they've put themselves in a bad place.

If your driving across the street at a crossroads and get hit by cars street racing, you either did not look both ways, not listening to what your mother told you, or you have terrible situational awareness, or your just really unlucky, and you would have probably got hit by a city bus on the same street.
So, the street racers are totally innocent?

So, the street racers are totally innocent?
No, but you have very little chance of being hit by one. I'll take those odds any day, over normal traffic. You are in greater danger just driving down the road on a average day. I never thought much about not having a horn on my classic car, it's missing from who knows when. Then I took a couple of long trips with the car, I've put one back on it because you need to snap these distracted drivers away from their la,la land back to the task at hand.
I thought we were talking about killing innocent bystanders and being a innocent bystander, not who is at fault.
The city bus would be at fault also.

There is program at South Mountain Raceway called "Street to Strip". When you have some free time, check it out.

Back